James P. Johnson Parlor Piano Solos From Rare Piano Rolls
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6959
- Released: March 25, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Before radio and television, the piano was the home entertainment center. Featured are classic songs from that era by the accomplished pianist James P. Johnson from original piano rolls. From the vaults of Biograph Records.
JazzTimes - 6/99, p.104"...a welcome reminder of [Johnson's] importance as a composer....The recording is good and the tempos...seem better than on most records of this kind..."
- 1.Stop It
- 2.When It's Cherry Time In Tokio
- 4.Caprice Rag
- 5.Caprice Rag (Take 2)
- 8.Carolina Shout
- 9.Don't Tell Your Monkey Man
- 10.It Takes Love To Cure The Heart's Disease
- 11.Loveless Love
- 12.Doctor Jazzes Raz-Ma-Taz
Solo performer: James P. Johnson (piano).
Recorded in Detroit, Michigan on June 6 & 7, 1970 and November 21, 1972. Includes liner notes by Chris Albertson.
The great stride pianist James P. Johnson recorded quite a few piano rolls, starting in 1917. Biograph has reissued a few CDs of this material, which was mostly recorded off of player pianos back in 1970 and 1972. As is usual with most piano rolls, one cannot always trust that the music was solely performed by just one pianist; some of the passages clearly sound like three or four hands playing at once. In addition, the rhythms can be rather mechanical, particularly compared to Johnson's recorded piano solos. However what is most intriguing about these piano rolls are the large number of selections that Johnson never recorded: songs such as "When It's Cherry Time in Tokio," "It Takes Love to Cure the Heart's Disease" and "Doctor Jazzes Raz-Ma-Taz!" In addition, the alternate versions of "Eccentricity," "Fascination" and particularly Johnson's signature piece "Carolina Shout" (the latter was an inspiration for Duke Ellington) are well worth hearing despite the idiom's limitations. ~ Scott Yanow
Fats WallerAin't Misbehavin': Classic Jazz from Rare Piano Rolls (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Yusef Lateef Meditations (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE