We Three (With Zoot Sims)
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Helen Humes ~ Songs I Like to Sing! $9.99
- Released: October 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Three of the greatest jazz saxophone artists of all time perform both unique and traditional jazz.
- 1.Al Cohn QuintetWe Three
- 2.Al Cohn QuintetIdaho
- 3.Al Cohn QuintetThe Things I Love
- 4.Al Cohn QuintetBe Loose
- 5.Al Cohn QuintetWhen Day Is Done
- 6.Al Cohn QuintetGood Old Blues
- 7.Zoot Sims QuintetIll Wind
- 8.Dexter GordonLullaby of Birdland
- 9.Dexter GordonI Should Care
- 10.Dexter GordonSeven Come Eleven
Full performer name: Al Cohn/Zoot Sims/Dexter Gordon.
Includes liner notes by Chris Albertson.
Al Cohn Quintet: Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Frank Rehak (trombone); Hank Jones (piano); Milt Hinton (bass); Osie Johnson (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York on September 29, 1956.
Zoot Sims Quintet: Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Jerry Lloyd (trumpet); John Williams (piano); Bill Anthony (bass); Gus Johnson (drums).
Recorded in New York, New York on Agust 10, 1956.
Personnel: Dexter Gordon (soprano & tenor saxophones); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Hank Jones (piano); Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); George Duvivier (bass); Oliver Jackson (drums); Candido (congas).
Recorded in New York, New York in 1977.
Personnel: Dexter Gordon (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Al Cohn (tenor saxophone); Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); Jerry Lloyd (trumpet); Frank Rehak (trombone); Hank Jones , John Williams (piano); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Gus Johnson , Oliver Jackson, Osie Johnson (drums); Candido (congas).
Liner Note Author: Chris Albertson.
Recording information: New York, NY (08/10/1956-??/??/1977).
Photographers: Jackie Alper; Bob Parent.
This compilation combines portions of studio dates led by three different saxophonists: Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, and Dexter Gordon. Cohn is heard from a 1956 session originally made for Dawn, joined by the always in-demand New York rhythm section of Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, and Osie Johnson. As always, Cohn is in top form, especially on the mellow ballad "We Three." Trombonist Frank Rehak is added for the up-tempo cooker "Idaho," "Be Loose," and "Good Old Blues." Sims is only heard on one track, leading a quintet through a warm treatment of "Ill Wind." The addition of the three Dexter Gordon tracks seems like a misfit, as they come from part of a date, taped in 1977, that had previously appeared in full on releases by Who's Who in Jazz and Glad Hamp. There's nothing wrong with Gordon's playing, but the far brighter sound and slightly overbearing conga of Candido on "Lullaby of Birdland" and "Seven Come Eleven" (though the latter piece features Gordon on soprano sax) keeps this session from meshing very well with the 1956 Dawn sessions that make up the rest of the CD. Gordon's supporting cast includes Hank Jones, Lionel Hampton, Bucky Pizzarelli, George Duvivier, and Oliver Jackson, with the conga-free "I Should Care" easily eclipsing the other two pieces. This is an enjoyable but somewhat oddly assembled compilation. ~ Ken Dryden
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 1,425
- UPC: 090431694824
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Marc Almond Tenement Symphony (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
From the Archives of Biograph Records Product Series:
- The Beers Family Seasons of Peace (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Burgundy Street Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Don't Give Up The Ship (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Honky Tonk Town (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Dorsey Brothers / Red Nichols New York Jazz In The Roaring Twenties, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE