The Beatles Past Masters, Volume 1 & 2 (2-CD)
13 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$22.38 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.60 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: September 9, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Capitol
Paste (magazine) (p.61) - "It remains the most comprehensive Beatles singles anthology....It's an essential set for completists and casual fans alike."
- 1.Love Me Do (Single Version)
- 2.From Me To You
- 3.Thank You Girl
- 4.She Loves You
- 5.I'll Get You
- 6.I Want To Hold Your Hand
- 7.This Boy
- 8.Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand (I Want To Hold Your Hand)
- 9.Sie Liebt Dich (She Loves You)
- 10.Long Tall Sally
- 11.I Call Your Name
- 12.Slow Down
- 14.I Feel Fine
- 15.She's a Woman
- 16.Bad Boy
- 17.Yes It Is
- 18.I'm Down
- 19.Day Tripper
- 20.We Can Work It Out
- 21.Paperback Writer
- 23.Lady Madonna
- 24.The Inner Light
- 25.Hey Jude
- 27.Get Back
- 28.Don't Let Me Down
- 29.The Ballad of John and Yoko
- 30.Old Brown Shoe
- 31.Across The Universe
- 32.Let It Be
- 33.You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
The Beatles: John Lennon (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, percussion, sound effects); Paul McCartney (vocals, piano, bass, drums, maracas, sound effects); George Harrison (vocals, guitar); Ringo Starr (vocals, drums).
Additional personnel includes: Brian Jones (saxophone); Nicky Hopkins (piano); Billy Preston (organ); Mal Evans (sound effects).
Compilation producer: Mark Lewisohn.
Recorded between September 4, 1962 and January 4, 1970.
Tracks 1-5, 8-9 and 33 are mono. Tracks 6-7, 10-32 are stereo.
PAST MASTERS is a compilation of singles, B-sides and other tracks that did not appear on the Beatles' original British albums. The Beatles as a general rule did not include their singles on their albums in the UK.
PAST MASTERS VOLUME ONE and PAST MASTERS VOLUME TWO are available individually on CD on Parlophone. VOLUME ONE is Parlophone 90043, VOLUME TWO is Parlophone 90044. See individual albums for further details.
Personnel: John Lennon (vocals, guitar, harmonica); George Harrison (vocals, guitar); Paul McCartney (vocals, piano, bass guitar); Ringo Starr (vocals, drums); Brian Jones (saxophone).
Audio Remasterers: Sean Magee; Steve Rooke; Guy Massey; Paul Hicks.
Liner Note Author: Kevin Howlett.
Recording information: 09/04/1962-01/04/1970.
When Capitol decided to release the original British editions of the Beatles' albums instead of the bastardized American versions, they were left with a bit of a quandary. Since the Beatles had an enormous number of non-LP singles, some of their greatest hits -- from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" through "Hey Jude" -- would not be included on disc if Capitol simply served up straight reissues. They had two options: they could add the singles as bonus tracks to the appropriate CDs, or they could release a compilation of all the non-LP tracks. It should come as no surprise that they chose the latter. Over its first half, Past Masters captures the exuberance of Beatlemania while confirming the band's talents as popcraftsmen ("This Boy," "Yes It Is") and proving that they could rock really, really hard ("I Feel Fine," "She's a Woman," the peerless "I'm Down"). From 1965 on, the 15 non-LP tracks released in the last five years of the band's career (not counting the singles that were released on Magical Mystery Tour) may not be as thematically consistent, but they hit greater highs with a greater frequency. Indeed, some of the greatest singles in pop history are here: "Day Tripper," "We Can Work It Out," "Paperback Writer," "Rain," "Lady Madonna," "Hey Jude," "Revolution," "Don't Let Me Down," and "The Ballad of John and Yoko." In the middle of all this, single versions of "Get Back" and "Let It Be" appear (the former is stiffer than the LP version, the latter is better than its counterpart), along with the alternate (and superior) "Across the Universe" and the silly yet strangely irresistible "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)." Apart from a few cuts that are merely rarities, this is a near-perfect compilation that captures the energy and spirit of the Beatles' entire career. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 133 ratings.
Based on 133 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Something About Suburbia: The Sixties Sounds of Tim Andrews (CD)
$17.95 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Englishmen ...Summer Is Here (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers Shout! (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE