Johnny Shines Traditional Delta Blues
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Tracks 1-12 recorded in 1972
- Tracks 13-14 recorded in 1974
- Released: August 28, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Biograph Records BCD 121 (1991)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Johnny Shines was born in Frazier, Tennessee in 1915. Influenced by the likes of Blind Lemon, Charley Patton, Lonnie Johnson and others, he started playing professionally in 1935 and spent several years on the road with the legendary Robert Johnson. He settled in Chicago, and worked with Memphis Slim, Eddie Boyd, Walter Horton and Snooky Pryor. Highlights of this collection include renditions of several Robert Johnson songs ("Dynaflow Blues," "Milkcow Blues" and "Tell Me Mama.") From the archives of Biograph Records.
- 1. Sitting On Top Of The World
- 2. Ramblin' Blues
- 3. Tell Me Mama
- 4. Bumble Bee Blues
- 5. It Ain't Nobody's Fault But Mine
- 6. Arguing And Boodling
- 7. Delta Pine
- 8. Pony Blues
- 9. Milk Cow Blues
- 10.Dynaflow Blues
- 11.Glad Rags
- 12.Pet Rabbit
- 13.Little Wolf
- 14.Jim String
Although Johnny Shines was steeped in Mississippi Delta blues as a youngster, and spent a good deal of time traveling and playing with Robert Johnson (the man largely considered the master of the style), he spent most of the 1940s and '50s fronting electric bands in Chicago. Nevertheless, Shines's electric playing was always greatly informed by the Delta style, and, in the '60s and '70s, he began to revisit his roots in a solo acoustic format. TRADITIONAL DELTA BLUES captures Shines in this context, and features 14 excellent performances that display his passionate singing, fine bottleneck playing, and intricate phrasing in the Johnson tradition.
Not surprisingly, Shines covers several Johnson songs, including "Terraplane Blues" (here titled "Dynaflow Blues"), "Milkcow's Calf Blues" (titled "Milk Cow Blues"), and "Tell Me Mama," a song Shines reportedly learned from Johnson, though Johnson never recorded it. Shines also contributes several fine originals to the set, the driving "Delta Pine," and the rhythmically slashing "Arguing and Boodling," among them. A handful of blues classics ("Sitting on Top of the World," for example) round out this outstanding latter-day set of truly authentic Delta blues.
Memphis MinnieEarly Rhythm & Blues 1949 From The Rare Regal Sessions (CD)
$7.17 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 5,917
- UPC: 090431693629
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $11.03 LABOR DAY
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $9.38 LABOR DAY
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 on SALE
- The Ohio Express Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Marshmallow Overcoat All You Need Is Fuzz (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Top of the Charts (CD) ~ $5.08 LABOR DAY
- The Beach Boys Greatest Surfing Songs (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
- Nat "King" Cole / Natalie Cole Back 2 Back Vocal Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE