The Mortal Storm (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$12.37 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.62 (38% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 20, 2009
- Originally Released: 1940
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Robert Young, Frank Morgan & Robert Stack|
|Performer:||Maria Ouspenskaya, Irene Rich, Bonita Granville, Robert Young, James Stewart, Robert Stack & Frank Morgan|
|Directed by||Frank Borzage|
|Edited by||Elmo Veron|
|Screenwriting by||Claudine West, George Froeschel & Anderson Ellis|
|Composition by||Edward Kane & Eugene Zador|
|Produced by||Victor Saville & Sidney Franklin|
|Director of Photography:||William H. Daniels|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...A still-powerful portrayal of '30s Germany, filmed when most in Hollywood wouldn't yet touch the subject..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
In their fourth and final teaming, Margaret Sullavan and James Stewart play sweethearts, evoking the tender, romantic empathy that always marked their work together. They lead a sterling cast in director Frank Borzage's sweeping tale of the political and human chaos that rips a family apart, sets child against parent and lover against lover, and leads to savagery, to sacrifice and to heroism.
A Jewish scholar at a German university dismisses theories about Aryan blood being "superior" from that of other ethnic groups. He is subsequently punished by being shipped to a concentration camp. Thereafter, his family's once-warm home becomes a cold cave of fear.
Though the professor's stepsons welcome the new regime and don swastika-spangled uniforms, his daughter, Freya, and her fiance plan to flee the country. Freya also tries to smuggle a manuscript, written by her father, that chronicles the terror.
But their only path to freedom is a snow-covered trail in the Austrian Alps, one that just might be stationed with Nazi marksmen.
- Nazi officials allegedly banned all MGM releases because of this film's overt anti-Nazi politics.
Some have said that Victor Saville had his name removed from the credits of "The Mortal Storm," because the British producer did not want to be credited with motivating America to enter the Second World War.
Author Al Rosen filed a lawsuit against the distributors of this film because, he claimed, the plot of his novel, "Mad Dog of Europe," had been lifted and placed in the narrative of "The Mortal Storm."
- Several scenes were filmed in the mountains of Utah and Idaho to convey the look of the Austrian Alps.
- A few scenes of this film were included in the 1992 thriller "Shining Through," which starred Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith and was directed by David Seltzer.
- Additional cast: Granville Bates (Professor Berg); Thomas Ross (Professor Werner); Sue Moore (Theresa); Harry Depp (Second colleague); and Gus Glassmire (Fourth colleague).
- Additional credit: Edward Kane (score composer).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 4,330
- UPC: 883316213025
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Warner Archive Collection Product Series:
- The 100 - Complete 2nd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- The 100 - Complete 3rd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- 20,000 Years In Sing Sing (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
- The 25th Hour (DVD-R) ~ $12.37 CYBER SALE
- -30- (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- The Graduate (Widescreen) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus Audio CD) (DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER SALE
- Dante's View (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER SALE
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.