Good Morning Blues
|You Save:||$6.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 28, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Biograph Records BCD 113 (1990)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A collection of fifteen rare recordings by Leadbelly, Dan Smith and Reverend Gary Davis, made for the Biograph Records label. To listen to the artistry of these three consumate artists is to realize why blues and gospel music is one of the deepest and most heartfelt expressions of the American experience.
- 1.Lead BellyWent Out On The Mountain
- 2.Lead BellyWhoa Back
- 3.Lead BellyWorried Blues
- 4.Lead BellyGood Morning Blues
- 5.Lead BellyYou Can't Lose Me Charlie
- 6.Lead BellyBoll Weevil
- 7.Dan SmithBabylon Is Falling Down
- 8.Dan SmithWhere Shall I Be When The Trumpet Sounds
- 9.Dan SmithLining The Track
- 10.Dan SmithCotton Needs Picking
- 11.Reverend Gary DavisCandy Man
- 12.Reverend Gary DavisHesitation Blues
- 13.Reverend Gary DavisWhistling Blues
- 14.Reverend Gary DavisHow Happy I Am
- 15.Reverend Gary DavisSoon My Work Will Be Done
Tracks 1-6 were recorded in 1940. Tracks 7-10 were recorded in 1975. Tracks 11-15 were recorded in 1971.
Personnel: Lead Belly (vocals, guitar); Dan Tobin Smith (vocals, harmonica); Jack Hume (guitar, bass guitar); Huddie Leadbetter, Rev. Gary Davis (guitar); Dan Smith (harmonica); Nick Seeger (vocals, guitar); Bessie Jones (vocals, tambourine); Michael Cooney (guitar, banjo); Bill Vanaver (guitar, mandolin, maracas); Larry Breezer (guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Arnold S. Caplin ; Chris Albertson; Don Kent; Barbara Caplin; Joel Bernstein.
Recording information: New York, NY (06/19/1940-??/??/1975); Sherman Fairchild's Studio, New York, NY (06/19/1940-??/??/1975); Vermont (06/19/1940-??/??/1975).
Photographers: Arnold S. Caplin ; Queen O. Robinson.
Acoustic blues music cannot be denied as the root of popular music, and this compilation shows the connection. The six Leadbelly tracks from 1940 showcase the godfather of country blues in his precious glory, especially on his signature number, "Worried Blues." Then, in a quantum leap of generations, Dan Smith offers four original country blues tunes from 1975, all very well played, with a band, and in some instances, quite a revelation for this lesser-known man. Reverend Gary Davis, a true immortal of this genre, concludes the set with five of his pieces, done solo and recorded in 1971, including chestnuts "Candy Man" and the all-timer "Hesitation Blues." It's a good introduction to this style of roots Americana, left on the back shelf for far too long. ~Michael G. Nastos
Memphis MinnieEarly Rhythm & Blues 1949 From The Rare Regal Sessions (CD)
$8.43 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 49,056
- UPC: 090431692929
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE