Good Morning Blues
|CYBER SALE:||$5.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.78 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 28, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Biograph Records BCD 113 (1990)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A collection of fifteen rare recordings by Leadbelly, Dan Smith and Reverend Gary Davis, made for the Biograph Records label. To listen to the artistry of these three consumate artists is to realize why blues and gospel music is one of the deepest and most heartfelt expressions of the American experience.
- 1.Lead BellyWent Out On The Mountain
- 2.Lead BellyWhoa Back
- 3.Lead BellyWorried Blues
- 4.Lead BellyGood Morning Blues
- 5.Lead BellyYou Can't Lose Me Charlie
- 6.Lead BellyBoll Weevil
- 7.Dan SmithBabylon Is Falling Down
- 8.Dan SmithWhere Shall I Be When The Trumpet Sounds
- 9.Dan SmithLining The Track
- 10.Dan SmithCotton Needs Picking
- 11.Reverend Gary DavisCandy Man
- 12.Reverend Gary DavisHesitation Blues
- 13.Reverend Gary DavisWhistling Blues
- 14.Reverend Gary DavisHow Happy I Am
- 15.Reverend Gary DavisSoon My Work Will Be Done
Tracks 1-6 were recorded in 1940. Tracks 7-10 were recorded in 1975. Tracks 11-15 were recorded in 1971.
Personnel: Lead Belly (vocals, guitar); Dan Tobin Smith (vocals, harmonica); Jack Hume (guitar, bass guitar); Huddie Leadbetter, Rev. Gary Davis (guitar); Dan Smith (harmonica); Nick Seeger (vocals, guitar); Bessie Jones (vocals, tambourine); Michael Cooney (guitar, banjo); Bill Vanaver (guitar, mandolin, maracas); Larry Breezer (guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Arnold S. Caplin ; Chris Albertson; Don Kent; Barbara Caplin; Joel Bernstein.
Recording information: New York, NY (06/19/1940-??/??/1975); Sherman Fairchild's Studio, New York, NY (06/19/1940-??/??/1975); Vermont (06/19/1940-??/??/1975).
Photographers: Arnold S. Caplin ; Queen O. Robinson.
Acoustic blues music cannot be denied as the root of popular music, and this compilation shows the connection. The six Leadbelly tracks from 1940 showcase the godfather of country blues in his precious glory, especially on his signature number, "Worried Blues." Then, in a quantum leap of generations, Dan Smith offers four original country blues tunes from 1975, all very well played, with a band, and in some instances, quite a revelation for this lesser-known man. Reverend Gary Davis, a true immortal of this genre, concludes the set with five of his pieces, done solo and recorded in 1971, including chestnuts "Candy Man" and the all-timer "Hesitation Blues." It's a good introduction to this style of roots Americana, left on the back shelf for far too long. ~Michael G. Nastos
Memphis MinnieEarly Rhythm & Blues 1949 From The Rare Regal Sessions (CD)
$6.74 CYBER SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,623
- UPC: 090431692929
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Archives of Biograph Records Product Series:
- The Beers Family Seasons of Peace (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Burgundy Street Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Don't Give Up The Ship (CD) ~ $3.18 CYBER SALE
- The Boilermaker Jazz Band Honky Tonk Town (CD) ~ $2.79 CYBER SALE
- Al Cohn / Dexter Gordon We Three (With Zoot Sims) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
Blues: Country Music Categories:
- Pink Anderson Carolina Blues Man, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $10.56 CYBER SALE
- Pink Anderson Gospel, Blues And Street Songs (CD) ~ $9.88 CYBER SALE
- Pink Anderson Medicine Show Man, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $17.08 CYBER SALE
- Kokomo Arnold Blues Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $17.17 CYBER SALE
- Kokomo Arnold / Casey Bill Weldon Bottleneck Guitar Trendsetters of the 1930s (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE