Warner Archive Collection (series)
The story revolves around a war-surplus racket operated from an island off the Central American coast, where federal agent Robert Taylor runs into the only thing steamier than the weather: Ava Gardner.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 6, 2009
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Vincent Price, John Hodiak, Robert Taylor, Ava Gardner & Charles Laughton|
|Directed by||Robert Z. Leonard|
|Screenwriting by||Marguerite Roberts|
|Composition by||Miklos Rozsa & Nacio Herb Brown|
|Director of Photography:||Joseph Ruttenberg|
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Bribe starts with a storm and ends with fireworks - fitting bookends for a crime thriller full of passion, greed and double crosses. The story revolves around a war-surplus racket operated from an island off the Central American coast, where federal agent Robert Taylor runs into the only thing steamier than the weather: Ava Gardner. World-wise, world-weary and fabulous looking, Taylor and Gardner epitomize noir sex appeal. And the consummate actors playing the villains couldn't be more adept at oozing evil. Vincent Price portrays the suave criminal mastermind and Charles Laughton is his henchman, a sweaty wharf rat."
Federal agent Robert Taylor journeys to a mythical South American community, there to break up a war-surplus contraband racket. American playboy Vincent Price is the brains of the outfit, aided and abetted by the disreputable Charles Laughton and John Hodiak. Ava Gardner, Hodiak's wife, takes over for her husband when he's sidelined by a heart condition. Taylor tries to get to the gang boss by romancing Gardner; she eventually shifts loyalties, but Price tries to frame both Gardner and Taylor so that he can get off scot-free. Taylor finally manages to overcome Price during a oversized fireworks display at a local festival. Hampered by the old-fashioned direction of Robert Z. Leonard, THE BRIBE is slow going until its spectacular climax, which was later excerpted in toto and re-used in Steve Martin's detective spoof DEAD MEN DON'T WEAR PLAID (82).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Falcon Mystery Movie Collection, Volume 1 (3-Disc) (DVD-R)(18)
$27.98 on SALE
Philo Vance Murder Case Collection (2-Disc) (DVD-R)(3)
$25.59 on SALE
The Falcon Mystery Movie Collection, Volume 2 (2-Disc) (DVD-R)(23)
$25.59 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
Death on the Nile (Deluxe Version) (DVD)
$7.17 Super Savings
- 100 Greatest Cult Classics (25-DVD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Too Hot To Handle (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Anna Christie (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Blondes and Redheads: Lost Comedy Classics, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Rediscovered Comedies of Edgar Kennedy, Volume 4 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE