The Black Pirate (Silent)
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
- The Big Parade ~ $10.72
- The Black Pirate - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $9.98 (Save 33%)
- Douglas Fairbanks Collection (The Mark of Zorro / The Three Musketeers / Robin Hood / Thief of... ~ $76.10
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: December 26, 2012
- Originally Released: 1926
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Billie Dove, Donald Crisp, Sam DeGrasse, Anders Randolf, Sam De Grasse, Tempe Piggot, Charles Stevens & Charles Belcher|
|Directed by||Albert Parker|
|Edited by||William Nolan|
|Screenwriting by||Jack Cunningham & Douglas Fairbanks|
|Composition by||Mortimer Wilson|
|Produced by||Douglas Fairbanks|
|Director of Photography:||Henry Sharp|
"...Color rarely looks this good on a movie this old..."
"THE BLACK PIRATE hums with energy. The surface of the image itself seems alive, swimming with particles of light."
Description by OLDIES.com:
The Black Pirate boasts spectacular sets, costumes and production values and stars handsome, athletic, charismatic Douglas Fairbanks. Only eighteen months after his debut in D.W. Griffith's The Lamb (1916), Fairbanks had established himself as Hollywood's third highest paid actor, behind only Charlie Chaplin and Mary Pickford. The mighty triumvirate of friends went on to found United Artists in 1919, and the studio's financial success was fueled to a great extent by Fairbanks' motion pictures. As the first president of the Motion Picture Academy Of Arts and Sciences, Fairbanks presented the very first Oscars in 1927. He is best known for his lavish swashbuckling adventures, most notably The Mark Of Zorro (1920), The Three Musketeers (1921), Robin Hood (1922) and The Thief of Bagdad (1924).
- THE BLACK PIRATE was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1993.
- THE BLACK PIRATE was the first feature film shot in 2-strip Technicolor, but many surviving copies are in black & white.
- According to Variety, Elton Thomas (who came up with the film's story) was actually Fairbanks himself.
- Additional production company: Elton Corp.
- Copyright 1926 Elton Corporation.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 3,709
- UPC: 089218689795
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Alpha Video Labels:
- Ace of Clubs (1925) / Another Man's Boots (1922) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Silent Films genre:
- She (1925) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Genuine: The Tragedy of a Vampire (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Average Woman (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Daughter of The Night (Silent) (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Madame Behave (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE