- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 18, 2009
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
Live and learn, the saying goes. Japanese businessman and widower Koichi Asano (Alec Guinness) and Brooklyn widow Bertha Jacoby (Rosalind Russell) are at an age when they've done a lot of living and learning. Now, with a bit of luck, love may reenter their lives - if they learn again the lessons of tolerance, forgiveness, kindness and devotion.
Russell and Guinness play unlikely romantics in this touching comedy based on the Broadway hit and directed by Mervyn LeRoy. Russell thought the role of Bertha was a radical departure for her. But she seized the challenge - and won the fourth of her five Best Actress Golden Globe? Awards. "In so many films, my comedy was brittle and came from the lips," Russell said. "Here the humor stems from the heart - and Mrs. Jacoby's heart is as big as the world."
A Japanese businessman and a widower find love in the autumn of life in this heartwarming movie based on the Broadway play by Leonard Spigelgass.
Stage Play |
- Rosalind Russell won her fourth Golden Globe for Best Actress for this performance.
- Alec Guinness worked hard to play a Japanese man, spending time studying Japanese culture.