- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 27, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Behind-the-Scenes
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 03/12/1999
"...[PAYBACK] carries a low-down, vicious charge..."
Box Office - 04/01/1999
"...[With] a grittily compelling performance from Gibson..."
USA Today - 02/05/1999
"...This movie has it all..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 02/05/1999
"...Gibson has a whimsical charm..."
Sight and Sound - 08/01/2007
"[A] satisfyingly uncompromising neo-noir, a fine valentine to the era of Siegel's CHARLEY VARRICK and Friedkin's THE FRENCH C ONNECTION."
Mel Gibson is Porter, a ruthless criminal, who is gunned down by his wife and friend after they rob an Asian gang. When Porter survives the attack, he makes it his mission to exact revenge on his friend, who has used the robbery money to buy his way into a powerful syndicate. Added to the mix are crooked police officers, members of the syndicate, and the Asian gang, who are out for a bit of revenge themselves. Based on the series of novels by Donald E. Westlake, which were translated to the screen previously in John Boorman's POINT BLANK (1967).
Theatrical Release |