- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: January 9, 2007
- Originally Released: 1962
- Label: Criterion
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - Japanese - Optional
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - Japanese
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Short Film - "Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create"
- Audio Commentary: Stephen Prince
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2003
"...There's no lack of stunningly choreographed action scenes....[With a] final, breathtaking showdown..."
Total Film - 12/01/2003
"...SANJURO exhibits all of Kurosawa's formal beauty while parodying the conventions of the Japanese action film..."
Uncut - 01/01/2004
"The climactic duel shows the great Japanese director at his controlled, no-frills best."
A first-rate Japanese adventure film about a group of naive, overly serious young warriors determined to take on their corrupt clan leaders with the assistance of a wise but grizzled samurai. The legendary Mifune (SEVEN SAMURAI) reprises his role as Sanjuro in this inventive and often hilarious sequel to Kurosawa's brilliant YOJIMBO.
- The print used for the Home Vision Cinema VHS version is from the Janus collection.
- Additional Cast: Reiko Dan (Koiso).
- Shot in Tohoscope.
- "Sanjuro" is the sequel to "Yojimbo" (1961).