The First Texan
Warner Archive Collection (series)
The First Texan traces the exploits of the man who would be president of the Texas Republic, Sam Houston. "He was a man of size and strength, and he held history in his hands," the film says about Houston.
|You Save:||$4.01 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
More products that might interest you:
- Classic Western Collection: 20 Full Color Vintage Movie Postcards ~ $5.98 (Save 60%)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 18, 2009
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Wallace Ford, Joel McCrea, Felicia Farr, Jeff Morrow & Abraham Sofaer|
|Directed by||Byron Haskin|
|Screenwriting by||Daniel B. Ullman|
|Composition by||Roy Webb|
|Director of Photography:||Wilfred M. Cline|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Determined to escape politics and strife, Sam Houston crosses the Red River into Texas - into the tumultuous politics and looming conflict of the Free Texas movement. From Houston's early reluctance to join the Texas cause to his interactions with familiar historical figures (Davy Crockett and Andrew Jackson among them) to his victory over the forces of General Santa Ana at the Battle of San Jacinto, The First Texan traces the exploits of the man who would be president of the Texas Republic. "He was a man of size and strength, and he held history in his hands," the film says about Houston. That description also matches the physical stature and screen persona of the man playing him, Western icon Joel McCrea.
Cashing in on the popularity of TV's DAVY CROCKETT and the jukebox favorite "Yellow Rose of Texas", Allied Artists came up with the CinemaScope biopic THE FIRST TEXAN. The title character is Sam Houston, played with rugged assuredness by Joel McCrea. The film begins when Houston leaves Tennessee for Texas, where at first he keeps to himself and avoids politics. As events overwhelm him, however, Houston evolves into the territory's most conspicuous patriot. His efforts to thwart Mexican general Santa Ana's efforts to recapture Texas for Mexico culminate in the battle of the Alamo, which is recreated in brisk, economical fashion. Somewhat perversely, Davy Crockett is reduced to a bit part in THE FIRST TEXAN.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)(15)
$15.98 on SALE
3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema, Volume 15 - Peepshow Loops (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Vitaphone Varieties - Volume 3: 16 Short Subjects (DVD-R) ~ $17.98 on SALE