Big Joe Turner
Big Joe Is Here / Big Joe Rides Again
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 8033 (1959)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic SD 1332 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Big Joe Turner created his own flavor of the blues. He took the shouting with a strong piano accompaniment element of the Kansas City style of the blues and blended it with a more "down home" approach to singing. Backed by the likes of Coleman Hawkins and Jim Hall, highlights on these two original Atlantic albums include "Until The Real Thing Comes Along," "Don't You Cry" and "Pennies From Heaven."
- 1.Wee Baby Blues
- 2.Rock A While
- 3.Baby I Still Want You
- 4.The Chill Is On
- 5.Poor Lover's Blues
- 6.Don't You Cry
- 8.Married Woman
- 9.Midnight Cannonball
- 10.I'll Never Stop Loving You
- 11.After My Laughter Came Tears
- 12.Bump Miss Suzie
- 13.Switchin' In The Kitchen
- 14.Nobody In My Mind
- 15.Until The Real Thing Comes Along
- 16.I Get The Blues When It Rains
- 18.When I Was Young
- 19.Don't You Make Me High
- 20.Time After Time
- 21.Pennies From Heaven
- 22.Here Comes Your Iceman
2 LP's on 1 CD: BIG JOE IS HERE (1959)/BIG JOE RIDES AGAIN (1960).
Personnel includes: Big Joe Turner (vocals); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Paul Ricard, Ernie Royal (trumpet); Vic Dickinson (trombone); Jimmy Jones (piano); Doug Watkins (bass); Charlie Pirm (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic Records.
Personnel: Joe Turner & His Blues Kings (vocals); Jimmy Nall, Freddie Green (guitar); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Seldon Powell (tenor saxophone); Ernie Royal, Paul Ricard, Jimmy Nottingham (trumpet); Lawrence Brown , Vic Dickenson (trombone); Jimmy Jones , Pete Johnson (piano); Cliff Leeman (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Elliott Federman.
Liner Note Authors: Bob Rolontz; Paul Ackerman.
Recording information: Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (03/07/1956-09/10/1959); Carnegie Recital Hall, New York, NY (03/07/1956-09/10/1959).
Photographer: Jim Marshall .
Arranger: Ernie Wilkins.
This Collectables reissue combines two post-R&B-era Big Joe Turner Atlantic sides, Big Joe Is Here and Joe Turner Rides Again, originally released in 1959 and 1960, respectively. The focus here is on the jazzy blues side of Turner's career, closer to Kansas City jazz and traditional pop than his pioneering R&B hits. Alongside a few tracks penned by Turner, he tackles several standards, including "Time After Time," "Pennies From Heaven," "Until the Real Thing Comes Along," and "I Get the Blues When It Rains." If you're looking for "Flip, Flop and Fly" or "Shake, Rattle and Roll," pick up the excellent Joe Turner/Rockin' the Blues two-fer also on Collectables. ~ Al Campbell
LaVern BakerPrecious Memories... Sings Gospel / LaVern Baker Sings... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 43,309
- UPC: 090431688625
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Oldies: Rock 'N' Roll Music Categories:
Bryan Adams Bryan Adams (CD) ~
$12.35 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Icon (CD) ~
$5.40 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Live! Live! Live! (CD) ~
$6.74 Super Savings
Bryan Adams Reckless (CD) ~
$8.09 Super Savings
- Alan Price Savaloy Dip (CD) ~ $15.28
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE