- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 17, 1998
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Film Highlights
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Biographies: Cast & Filmmaker
- DVD-ROM Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"It won awards for that little Scottish fellow."
- Talent agent Angie (Penny Marshall) to her client Nick Lang (Michael J. Fox) on the success of Irishman Kenneth Branagh's HENRY V
"It's like a movie, it's so real."
- Nick Lang to John Moss (James Woods)
Rolling Stone - 03/21/1991
"...Smart, sassy fun....Live-wire performances..."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/1991
"...A genuinely powerful forward motion...and a rich look..."
Los Angeles glitz meets New York grit in director John Badham's action-packed comedy. In New York's Times Square a billboard looms larger than life for a new Hollywood blockbuster starring Nick Lang (Michael J. Fox), an Indiana Jones-style superstar. The real Nick Lang is holed up in a neighboring apartment studying every move and mannerism of Lieutenant John Moss (James Woods), a hard-nosed, streetwise cop who has been taken off of a serial killer case for a new assignment: showing the Hollywood star how a real cop lives, in preparation for a new film role. With rapid-fire dialogue and a hysterical high-energy performance, Fox brilliantly parodies a spoiled Hollywood celebrity complete with model girlfriends, and a tough cookie agent played with ease by Penny Marshall. Woods ignites the screen as the explosive New York cop who must learn how to get along with his new "partner."
Michael J. Fox and James Woods star in this hilarious action farce. Fox is Nick Lang, a Hollywood superstar trying to break out of his nice guy image who believes he can land a role as a tough cop if he can hangs out with the real thing. Much to the chagrin of maverick NYC cop, John Moss (James Woods) who is assigned the annoying task of baby-sitting his new Hollywood sidekick.
- Theatrical release: March 8, 1991.
- Christina Ricci's appearance in THE HARD WAY was her second feature film role. (Her first role was in 1990's MERMAIDS.)
- Rap artist LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" can be heard in the first club scene of the movie. The rapper plays Billy in the film.