Curtis Fuller South American Cooking / Magnificent Trombone Of
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Epic BA-17020 (1962)
- Original Album #2: Epic BA-17013 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Detroit-born trombonist Curtis Fuller exhibited expert technique with his spirited phrasing and his wide octave leaps. The 1959 Down Beat International Critics Poll presented Curtis Fuller with an award for best new star trombone player three years before he recorded these albums that feature Tommy Flanagan on piano and Zoot Sims on tenor. Fullers' distinctive playing is exhibited on songs such as "Hello Young Lovers," "I'll Be Around," and "Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child."
- 1.Hello Young Lovers
- 2.Besame Mucho
- 3.Willow Weep For Me
- 4.One Note Samba
- 5.Wee Dot
- 6.Autumn Leaves
- 7.I'll Be Around
- 9.Mixed Emotions
- 11.Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
- 12.Two Different Worlds
- 14.I Loves You Porgy
2 LPs on 1 CD: SOUTH AMERICAN COOKING (1962)/THE MAGNIFICENT TROMBONE OF CURTIS FULLER (1961).
Personnel: Curtis Fuller (trombone); Zoot Sims (tenor saxophone); Tommy Flanagan, Walter Bishop, Jr. (piano); Jimmy Merrill, Buddy Cattlett, Less Spann (bass); Dave Bailey, Stu Martin (drums).
Originally released on Epic.
Personnel: Curtis Fuller (trombone); Les Spann (guitar); Tommy Flanagan, Walter Bishop, Jr. (piano); Dave Bailey , Stu Martin (drums).
Liner Note Author: Michael Berniker.
Recording information: New York, NY (02/20/1961-08/23/1961).
All of the material on this Curtis Fuller compilation was recorded in 1961 for Epic, though it was made during two separate pairs of sessions by two different lineups for two individual albums. The group on the first date includes Zoot Sims, Tommy Flanagan, Jymie Merritt, and Dave Bailey. The title South American Cookin' doesn't give an accurate description of the first half of the disc, though there is a loping treatment of the sad ballad "Besame Mucho" and a very percussive take of "One Note Samba"; more typical for Fuller are the delightful up-tempo bop numbers like J.J. Johnson's "Wee Dot," in which Sims and the leader lock horns and both play their most stimulating solos, even with a few reed squeaks by the tenor saxophonist. The second portion of the disc originally appeared under the title The Magnificent Trombone of Curtis Fuller, and the leader doesn't disappoint. This time the trombonist is accompanied by Walter Bishop, Jr., Jimmy Garrison or Buddy Catlett on bass, guitarist Les Spann, and drummer Stu Martin. The buoyant treatment of Alec Wilder's "I'll Be Around" and the lush "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child" are both gems, but the less-familiar works, such as "Mixed Emotions" and "Two Different Worlds," also deserve a listen. Fuller's high-energy compositions "Playpen" and "Teabags" would easily fit into the regular repertoire of any hard bop group. While this CD may fall just short of essential for hard bop fans, it is recommended. ~ Ken Dryden
Bob Brookmeyer / Jimmy GiuffrePortrait of The Artist / The Four Brothers Sound (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Kai WindingTrombone For Two (with J.J. Johnson) / The Trombone Sound (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 18,968
- UPC: 090431687925
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE