Bordertown (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
An ambitious Mexican-American gets mixed up with his boss's neurotic wife in this fast-paced and entertaining drama.
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 20 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 4, 2009
- Originally Released: 1935
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Paul Muni, Margaret Lindsay, Eugene Pallette, Robert Barrat & Bette Davis|
|Directed by||Archie Mayo|
|Screenwriting by||Laird Doyle & Wallace Smith|
|Composition by||Bernard Haun|
|Director of Photography:||Tony Gaudio|
Description by OLDIES.com:
An ambitious Mexican-American gets mixed up with his boss's neurotic wife in this fast-paced and entertaining drama. Oscar, Golden Globe and Emmy-winner Bette Davis ("All About Eve"), Margaret Lindsay ("Please Don't Eat the Daises") and Oscar-winner Paul Muni ("Scarface") do an excellent job in bringing their complex characters to life.
Paul Muni stars in this drama about a romantic triangle that leads to madness and murder. Overly enthusiastic Mexican attorney Johnny Ramirez (Muni) is disbarred after his first trial for his flagrant disregard of courtroom etiquette. In desperate need of work, he takes a job as a bouncer in a sleazy bordertown night club owned by Charlie Roark (Eugene Pallette). Charlie's wife Marie (Bette Davis) is immediately attracted to Johnny and makes a none-too-subtle play for him. But Johnny has his eye on Dale Elwell (Margaret Lindsay), a socialite who enjoys slumming in low-class dives and admiringly refers to Johnny as a "savage." Johnny tells Marie that it's against his principles to get involved with a married woman, so she decides to do something about that: she traps drunken Charlie in his car while it's locked in a garage, allowing the carbon monoxide to take Charlie out of the picture. When Marie explains that she killed her husband and is now available to him, Johnny wants no part of her; bitter that Johnny has snubbed her, Marie implicates him in Charlie's murder, leading to a dramatic and surprising trial. Paul Muni reportedly moved in with his Mexican chauffeur in order to study his accent and reproduce it accurately for this film.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,847
- UPC: 883316119020
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Warner Archive Collection Product Series:
- The 100 - Complete 2nd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER WEEK
- The 100 - Complete 3rd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER WEEK
- 20,000 Years In Sing Sing (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER WEEK
- The 25th Hour (DVD-R) ~ $12.37 CYBER WEEK
- -30- (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Widescreen) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus Audio CD) (DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER WEEK
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK
- Dante's View (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK