Art Farmer Baroque Sketches / The Time And The Place
Only 10 copies left
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Art Farmer ~ Only The Best of Art Farmer Quintet (3-CD) ~ $32.97
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia CS-9388 (1966)
- Original Album #2: Columbia CS-9449 (1967)
Description by OLDIES.com:
During his five-decade long career, Farmer played with the best of the jazz world, including Johnny Otis, Lionel Hampton, Quincy Jones, and Gerry Mulligan. This CD combines two complete albums Farmer originally recorded for Columbia in the late 1960's. Highlights include "The Rhythm Of Life" from "Sweet Charity," "The Shadow Of Your Smile" from "The Sandpiper," and "Make Someone Happy." Personnel on "The Time And The Place" include Jimmy Heath and Cedar Walton.
- 1.Fuja Ki
- 3.Little David's Fugue
- 4.Prelude In "E" Minor
- 7.Alfie's Theme
- 10.Prelude In "A" Minor
- 11.Rhythm Of Life
- 12.The Time And The Place (Live)
- 13.The Shadow Of Your Smile (Live)
- 14.One For Juan (Live)
- 15.Nino's Scene (Live)
- 16.Short Cake (Live)
- 17.Make Someone Happy (Live)
- 18.On The Trail (Live)
2 LPs on 1 CD: BAROQUE SKETCHES (1966)/THE TIME & THE PLACE (1967).
Personnel includes: Art Farmer (trumpet, flugelhorn); Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone); Cedar Walton (piano); Walter Booker (bass); Mickey Roker (drums);
The Baroque Orchestra.
Originally released on Columbia.
Personnel: Art Farmer (trumpet, flugelhorn); Jimmy Heath (tenor saxophone); Mickey Roker (drums).
Liner Note Author: Dan Morgenstern.
Two very different records by Art Farmer are combined on this Collectables CD reissue. Art Farmer enjoyed playing pieces with strong melodies, and the original concept of Baroque Sketches was to adapt the music of Johann Sebastian Bach into a jazz setting. After initial research, it was decided to also include works by Chopin and Albeniz, as well as John Lewis' "Little David's Fugue" and Sonny Rollins' "Alfie Theme." With arrangements by his former Jazztet partner Benny Golson, Farmer creates music that is entertaining, though unlikely to stand up to repeated listening. The Art Farmer Quintet are featured in a 1967 concert at the Museum of Modern Art in the second half of the disc, released originally as The Time and the Place. With arrangements by tenor saxophonist Jimmy Heath, who is also present on the date, and a rhythm section made up of Cedar Walton, Walter Booker, and Mickey Roker, this live date mixes strong originals by Heath, one fairly well-known song from Broadway ("Make Someone Happy"), and lesser-known but potent pieces by J.J. Johnson ("Shortcake") and Sergio Mihanovich ("Nino's Scene"), who is better known for composing another favorite of Farmer's, "Sometime Ago." Although the overly enthusiastic audience tends at times to applaud prematurely and a bit too loudly, the music is first-rate. One small disappointment: By combining The Time and the Place with Baroque Sketches on a single disc, jazz fans who don't already own the 1982 Columbia reissue (a two-record set) of The Time and the Place will find themselves seeking it to obtain three additional numbers from this concert, as well as two studio tracks recorded later in the year. ~ Ken Dryden
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Bob Brookmeyer / Jimmy GiuffrePortrait of The Artist / The Four Brothers Sound (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Curtis FullerSouth American Cooking / Magnificent Trombone Of (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
The Complete Albums Collection 1961-1963 (4-CD Box Set)
$12.54 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 38,253
- UPC: 090431687024
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE