- Number of Discs: 3
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 3 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: May 26, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Wgbh / Pbs
- 3-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Box Set
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Shorts: Animated Short Film "PRIVATE SNAFU IN THE ALEUTIANS" Directed by Chuck Jones and Written by Theodor "Dr. Seuss" Geisel
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Slide Show of the Island of Attu Today
- Weblinks: Access to Program Websites
Flying the Secret Sky
Uncover the story of passionate, risk-taking young men braving treacherous winter skies over the North Atlantic in primitive, unarmed aircraft. The RAF was desperate for planes and their supply of US aircraft, sent on ship convoys, had been sunk in the icy Atlantic by relentless German U-boats. In response, a remarkable decision was made?to fly the planes across the unforgiving ocean.
On a Wind and Prayer
In late 1944, Japan released the first of more than nine thousand Fugo Balloon bombs into the Pacific Jet Stream, launching a long-range aerial attack on North America. It has been estimated that nearly six hundred of the deadly bombs may still be undiscovered, but a media silence on this story made the attack unknown to most people. Now, take an in-depth look at the balloon bomb offensive and its place in World War II history.
Red, White, Black, and Blue
This film documents a little-known World War II battle with Japanese forces on the Alaskan island of Attu. The film is the story of every solider who faces an enemy he does not understand, the complicated mindset of a nation at war, and what it really means to be an American hero.