Doris Day Bright & Shiny / Cuttin' Capers
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Doris Day ~ April In Paris / Young At Heart (Plus More!) ~ $10.98
by Doris Day ~ On Moonlight Bay / By The Light of The Silvery Moon ~ $10.98
by Doris Day ~ Sentimental Journey / Latin For Lovers ~ $10.98
by Doris Day ~ What Every Girl Should Know / I Have Dreamed ~ $10.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Doris Day honed her singing skills while working as a singer with Bob Crosby's and Les Brown's Big Bands. Besides her extraordinary motion picture career, she also had a successful television series in the late sixties-early seventies. The albums on this "two-on-one" collection are from the vaults of Columbia Records. Memorable songs on this inspired compilation include"Happy Talk," "Steppin' Out With My Baby" and "Make Somebody Happy."
- 1.Cuttin' Capers
- 2.Steppin' Out With My Baby
- 3.Makin' Whoopee
- 4.The Lady's In Love With You
- 5.Why Don't We Do This More Often
- 6.Let's Take A Walk Around The Block
- 7.I'm Sitting On Top Of The World
- 8.Get Out And Get Under The Moon
- 9.Fit As A Fiddle (And Ready For Love)
- 10.Me Too (Ho-Ho! Ha-Ha!)
- 11.I Feel Like A Feather In The Breeze
- 12.Let's Fly Away
- 13.Bright And Shiny
- 14.I Want To Be Happy
- 15.Keep Smilin', Keep Laughin', Be Happy
- 16.Singin' In The Rain
- 17.Gotta Feelin'
- 18.Happy Talk
- 19.Make Someone Happy
- 20.Ridin' High
- 21.On The Sunny Side Of The Street
- 22.Clap Yo' Hands
- 23.Stay With The Happy People
- 24.Twinkle And Shine
2 LPs on 1 CD: BRIGHT & SHINY (1961)/CUTTIN' CAPERS (1959).
Personnel includes: Doris Day (vocals); Frank DeVol, Neal Hefti (arranger, conductor).
Originally released on Columbia.
Personnel: Doris Day (vocals).
Recording information: 11/10/1958-12/23/1960.
Directors: Neal Hefti; Frank DeVol.
This discount-priced two-fer combines two up-tempo Doris Day albums from the late '50s and early '60s. The discs were not released sequentially; 1959's Cuttin' Capers was followed by two 1960 releases, What Every Girl Should Know and Show Time, before Bright and Shiny appeared in 1961. But the two albums share a sprightly tone. The theme of Bright and Shiny is happy songs -- "I Want to Be Happy," "Happy Talk" -- while Cuttin' Capers is even more frolicsome. There are songs that were newly written at the time, such as the scene-setting "Cuttin' Capers," which leads things off, and "Twinkle and Shine," the title song from Day's reissued 1961 film (the first time around in 1959 it had been called It Happened to Jane), which closed the disc, but for the most part the songs are drawn from the Great American Songbook, dating back to the mid-'20s for tunes like "I'm Sitting on Top of the World" and "I Want to Be Happy" (both songs Day had sung in films in the '50s) and as recent as the late '40s for "Steppin' out With My Baby" from the 1948 film Easter Parade and "Happy Talk" from the 1949 musical South Pacific. The material and the arrangements are well chosen for a singer who was better at conveying contentment than turmoil. Of course, Day was always on an even keel, and though she gamely joins in on the celebration like the professional she is, she never gets deliriously happy. Like the screen persona she was developing at the same time in her comedies with Rock Hudson, she is friendly and even sexy, but wholesome and down to earth. These albums were not big sellers in their initial releases, but they hold up well 40-plus years later. ~ William Ruhlmann
Polly BergenAll Alone By The Telephone / Four Seasons of Love (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Patti PageHush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte / Gentle On My Mind (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...(4)
$9.98 on SALE
James Cagney - The Signature Collection (The Bride Came... (DVD)(18)
$29.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,738
- UPC: 090431686027
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(25)
$4.31 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE