Doris Day Happy Hits
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.99 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$8.98 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Compilation Produced By: Dan Rivard
- Liner Notes: Al Fichera
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
A 25-track collection of songs recorded by Doris Day for Columbia between 1949 and 1957. Many of the tunes featured on this CD, while not appearing in the films of this period of Day's career, were released concurrent to them, reinforcing her image as America's newest sweetheart. Includes details about each track, including recording date, backing orchestra and original catalog numbers.
- 1.When The Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along
- 2.A Load Of Hay
- 3.A Full Time Job
- 4.Kay Muleta
- 5.The Comb And Paper Polka
- 6.Love Me In The Daytime
- 7.Two Hearts, Two Kisses (Make One Love)
- 8.(There's A) Bluebird On Your Windowsill
- 9.A Little Kiss Goodnight
- 11.Ooh! Bang! Jiggily! Jang!
- 12.No Two People
- 13.Walk A Chalk Line
- 14.Choo Choo Train (Ch-Ch-Foo)
- 15.Save A Little Sunbeam (For A Rainy, Rainy Day)
- 16.I Said My Pajamas (And Put On My Pray'rs)
- 17.How It Lies, How It Lies
- 19.Candy Lips
- 20.Twelve O'clock Tonight
- 21.I Didn't Slip - I Wasn't Pushed - I Fell
- 22.Powder Your Face With Sunshine (Smile Smile Smile)
- 23.A Purple Cow
- 24.Ask Me (Because I'm So In Love)
- 25.I Enjoy Being A Girl
Recorded between 1948 & 1959.
Liner Note Author: Al Fichera.
Recording information: 12/20/1948-01/12/1959.
Doris Day fans have reason to celebrate Collectables' simultaneously issued trio of releases of lesser-known Day material: Ballads and Love Songs From the Early Years: 1947 to 1951, The 1960s Singles, and this one, which presents up-tempo and novelty songs. While compilations often serve the needs of casual fans who just want the hits, bigger fans often despair that the same popular songs get anthologized over and over, while obscure tunes languish on out-of-print LPs and singles. Such has been the case with some of the recordings here. The word "hits" appears in the title, and half of these tracks did reach the charts, but none got into the Top Ten. Day was an accomplished singer of just about anything that Columbia A&R directors like Mitch Miller could throw at her, but she remains better remembered for her ballad performances than for the sort of songs she performs here. Miller scored hits on Rosemary Clooney with ethnic novelties like "Kay-Muleta," but Day handles it as well as Clooney might have, and she is equally uninhibited about taking on an onomatopoeic effort like "Ooh Bang Jiggly Jang." She also does fine with country and even polka tunes. By the mid-'50s, Miller has her trying numbers like "Two Hearts, Two Kisses (Make One Love)" and "Walk a Chalk Line" that, while not exactly rock & roll, certainly display an R&B influence. And she proves willing to share the spotlight with a variety of duet partners, including Johnnie Ray, Donald O'Connor, Buddy Clark, and even orchestra leader Ray Noble on "Save a Little Sunbeam (For a Rainy, Rainy Day)." This is not the best of Doris Day, by any means, but it shows off a different side of her talent (actually, several different sides) and is worth hearing to appreciate her fully. ~ William Ruhlmann
Andy WilliamsDanny Boy / The Wonderful World of Andy Williams (CD)
$8.78 CYBER WEEK
Doris DayOn Moonlight Bay / By The Light of The Silvery Moon (CD)
$8.78 CYBER WEEK
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$7.98 CYBER WEEK
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 6 (CD)
$10.38 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 55,479
- UPC: 090431685723
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER WEEK
- 2 Pac Lowdown Unauthorized:Tupac Shakur (CD) ~ $5.57 CYBER WEEK
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER WEEK
- 2nd II None Classic 220 (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Best of 2Pac Pt. 1: Thug (CD) ~ $9.45 CYBER WEEK
Pop Vocal: Classic Music Categories:
- Edie Adams There's So Much More (CD) ~ $7.80 CYBER WEEK
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $7.78 CYBER WEEK
- Anna Maria Alberghetti Warm and Willing (CD) ~ $18.51 CYBER WEEK
- The Ames Brothers Hello Italy! / Knees Up! Mother Brown (And Other Funny Songs) (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER WEEK
- The Ames Brothers They, They, They Are the Ones (2-CD) ~ $17.99 CYBER WEEK