Mad Twenties / My Personal Property
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 6845
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1302 (1959)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1689 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Mr. Short's spirited vocals are captured on the tunes "The Best Is Yet To Come," "Witchcraft," and "Don't Bring Lulu." "Mad Twenties" was arranged and conducted by Phil Moore, who also served as producer on "Personal Property."
- 2.That's My Weakness Now
- 3.That Society Bear
- 4.Don't Bring Lulu
- 6.Tiger Rag
- 7.Sweet So And So
- 8.Heebie Jeebies
- 9.At The Animal's Ball
- 10.I'm Bringing A Red, Red Rose
- 11.Laugh, Clown, Laugh
- 12.I'm Cert'ny Gonna See 'Bout That
- 13.The Best Is Yet To Come
- 15.I've Got Your Number
- 16.It Amazes Me
- 18.On The Other Side Of The Tracks
- 19.My Personal Property
- 20.Hey Look Me Over
- 21.I Walk A Little Faster
- 22.Here's Hoping
- 23.You Fascinate Me So
- 24.The Rules Of The Road
2 LPs on 1 CD: THE MAD TWENTIES (1959)/MY PERSONAL PROPERTY (1963).
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Phil Moore (arranger, conductor); Al Caiola (guitar, mandolin); Lou McGarity (violin, trombone); Eddie Bareffield (clarinet, saxophone); Yank Lawson, Joe Wilder, Chris Griffin (trumpet); Milt Hinton, George Duvivier, Beverly Peer (bass); Dick Sheridan, Terry Snyder (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic.
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Al Caiola (guitar, banjo, violin); Lou McGarity (violin, trombone); Eddie Barefield (clarinet, saxophone); Chris Griffin , Joe Wilder, Yank Lawson (trumpet); Dick Sheridan, Gene Gammage , Terry Snyder (drums); Valdo Ramirez, Willie Rodriguez (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Edward Jablonski.
Recording information: WOR Recording Studio, NY.
Arrangers: Phil Moore ; Bobby Short.
Collectables Records' two-fer of Bobby Short's 1959 album The Mad Twenties and My Personal Property from 1963 matches up two quite different releases on the same CD, both pleasing works on their own. The Mad Twenties, as its name suggests, is a collection of songs from the 1920s. Short and arranger/conductor Phil Moore have put together small bands consisting of a few horns and a rhythm section to play the material in an authentic Dixieland style, and Short not only sings with his usual style but also effectively apes some of the styles of the day, including crooning on "Sweet So and So" and "I'm Bringing a Red, Red Rose," and plaintively reciting the pathetic sentiments of "Laugh, Clown, Laugh." The album is a wonderful evocation of a bygone era. My Personal Property, on the other hand, was close to contemporary at the time it was made, a songbook of the work of pop and theater composer Cy Coleman including standards such as "Witchcraft" and "The Best Is Yet to Come." Coleman's jazzy tunes proved a perfect match for a performer used to bringing out the best in an earlier generation of show music composers such as Cole Porter, with the lyrics, most of them by Carolyn Leigh, having a wit and emotionalism Short also responded to, so that, although he and his piano were performing with just bass, drum, and occasional percussion accompaniment, he held his own against such Coleman interpreters as Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett. As two-fers go, there isn't much to match up such differing albums, but they stand as two contrasting examples of Bobby Short's performing abilities. ~ William Ruhlmann
Mabel MercerMidnight At Mabel Mercer's / Once In A Blue Moon (2-CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE