Speaking of Love / Sing Me A Swing Song
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$7.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1262 (1958)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1285 (1958)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Two albums of classic material including "Let's Fall In Love', "At Long Last Love," and "Rocks In My Bed." Both albums feature orchestrations and arrangements by Phil Moore.
- 1.Hooray For Love
- 2.Speaking Of Love
- 3.I've Got Beginner's Luck
- 4.I Love You Samantha
- 5.I Fall In Love With You Every Day
- 6.This Is What I Call Love
- 7.Do I Hear You Saying I Love You
- 8.Let's Fall In Love
- 9.Down In Mexico
- 10.Easy Come, Easy Go
- 11.I Wanna Be Loved
- 12.At Long Last Love
- 13.So Near And Yet So Far
- 14.Year After Year
- 15.It's Bad For Me
- 16.How Can You Forget
- 17.From Now On
- 18.Some Fine Day
- 19.I'm Checkin' Out, Goombye
- 20.I Got What It Takes
- 21.For No Rhyme Or Reason
- 22.Ebony Rhapsody
- 23.Ace In The Hole
- 25.Don't Let It Get You Down
- 27.Rocks In My Bed
- 28.Wake Up, Chillun, Wake Up
2 LPs on 1 CD: SPEAKING OF LOVE (1958)/SING ME A SWING SONG (1958).
Personnel includes: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Phil Moore (arranger, conductor); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Romeo Penque (flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Danny Banks, Sol Schlinger (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Don Elliott (trumpet, trombone, vibraphone, mellophone); Bernie Glow, Nick Travis, Lou Oles (trumpet); Warren Covington, Urbie Green (trombone); Ismael Ugarte, Arnold Fishkin, Clyde Lombardi, Pat Merola (bass); Sonny Rivera, Ted Sommer, Jimmy Crawford (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic.
Personnel: Bobby Short (vocals, piano); Barry Galbraith (guitar); Romeo Penque (flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Danny Banks, Sol Schlinger (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Don Elliott (trumpet, trombone, vibraphone); Lou Oles, Joe Wilder, Bernie Glow, Nick Travis (trumpet); Phil Giacobbe, Jack Satterfield, Urbie Green, Warren Covington (trombone); Sonny Rivera, Jimmy Crawford , Todd Sommer (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Edwin Miller; Roger Whitaker.
Recording information: 09/15/1956-12/10/1957.
Director: Phil Moore .
Introduction bys: Clifton Webb; Ethel Merman; Fred Astaire; John Payne ; Tony Martin.
Photographer: Jerry Schatzberg.
Arranger: Phil Moore .
Perhaps America's most famous nightclub pianist and singer, the effervescent Bobby Short represented the epitome of musical sophistication for generations of post-war cabaret audiences via his appearances in Los Angeles, Paris, and particularly New York, where his residencies at the Caf‚ Carlyle and 21 almost made him a city landmark. This compendium combines two late-1950s releases.
The first, 1957's SPEAKING OF LOVE, is a straightforward representation of Short's club act, collecting (as the title implies) a variety of romantic standards, including the barnstorming R&B arrangement of "Hooray for Love" (where Short expertly conveys the song's dotty enthusiasm without losing its innate wit) and the classic "So Near and Yet So Far," which has the tuxedo-clad chic of a 1930s Hollywood society movie. Recorded a year later, SING ME A SWING SONG finds Short performing a variety of jazzy small-group and big-band arrangements. The album is marked by a big-budget production value that swathes Short's voice in lush brass and exotic Latin rhythms on well-chosen material like the smart, bluesy "It's Bad for Me," and a drowsy, after-hours version of "Wake Up, Chillun, Wake Up."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,367
- UPC: 090431684320
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Pop Vocal: Cabaret Music Categories:
Peter Allen The Very Best of The Boy From Down Under (CD) ~
$9.72 Super Savings
- Antony & The Johnsons Turning (CD + DVD) ~ $17.98
- Bea Arthur Bea Arthur on Broadway: Just Between Friends (Live) (CD) ~ $15.28
Charles Aznavour Aznavour Live: Palais des Congres 97/98 (2-CD) ~
$24.65 Super Savings
Charles Aznavour Grandes Exitos de Charles Aznavour (CD) ~
$11.12 Super Savings