Me Myself An Eye / Something Like A Bird (2-CD)
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records (series)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Charles Mingus ~ Mingus at The Bohemia (Live) ~ $16.19
- by Mingus Dynasty ~ Only The Best of Mingus Dynasty (7-CD) ~ $58.97 (Save 22%)
- by Charles Mingus ~ Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop ~ $17.08
- by Charles Mingus ~ Three Or Four Shades of Blue / Cumbia & Jazz Fusion (2-CD) ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Charles Mingus ~ Town Hall Concert  (Live) ~ $10.56
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: July 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 8803 (1979)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 8805 (1980)
Description by OLDIES.com:
These two original Atlantic albums are among Mingus' last, recorded while he was collaborating with Joni Mitchell on her "Mingus" album. Highlights include Mingus revisiting his great blues song "Devil Woman," as well as shining on his two-part epic "Something Like a Bird" and the spirited "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting." Contributors include Larry Coryell, Randy & Michael Brecker, Slide Hampton, Joe Chambers, Lee Konitz and Pepper Adams.
Q - 6/02, p.1364 stars out of 5 - "...It's a Mingus session through and through...just the kind of belligerence that Mingus thrived on."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Three Worlds Of Drums
- 2.Devil Woman
- 3.Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting
- 4.Carolyn "Keki" Mingus
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Something Like A Bird
- 2.Farewell, Farewell
2 LPs on 2 CDs: ME MYSELF AN EYE (1979)/SOMETHING LIKE A BIRD (1980).
Personnel includes: Ken Hitchcock (soprano & alto saxophones); Akira Ohmori,
Lee Konitz, Yoshiaki Malta (alto saxophone); Michael Brecker, George Coleman,
Ricky Ford (tenor saxophone); Randy Brecker, Mike Davis, Jack Walrath (trumpet); Jimmy Knepper, Slide Hampton (trombone); Bob Neloms (piano); Larry Coryell, Ted Dunbar (guitar); Eddie Gomez, George Mraz (bass); Joe Chambers,
Dannie Richmond (drums); Sammmy Figueroa, Ray Mantilla (percussion).
Recorded in January 1978. Originally released on Atlantic.
Personnel: Danny Toan, Larry Coryell, Ted Dunbar (guitar); Kenneth Hitchcock (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone); Yoshiaki Malta, Akira Ohmori, Lee Konitz, Charles McPherson (alto saxophone); Daniel Block, John Tank, Michael Brecker, Ricky Ford (tenor saxophone); Craig Purpura, Pepper Adams, Ronnie Cuber (baritone saxophone); Jack Walrath, Randy Brecker (trumpet); Jimmy Knepper, Slide Hampton, Keith O'Quinn (trombone); Bob Neloms (piano); Ken Werner (electric piano); Dannie Richmond, Steve Gadd (drums); Ray Mantilla, Sammy Figueroa (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Bobby Warner.
Liner Note Authors: Gary Giddins; Nat Hentoff.
Recording information: Atlantic Studios, New York, NY (01/18/1978-01/23/1978).
Photographer: David Gahr.
Arranger: Jack Walrath.
In 2001, Collectables released Me, Myself an Eye/Something Like a Bird, which combined two albums by Charles Mingus on a two-disc set: Me, Myself an Eye (1979) and Something Like a Bird (1980), both originally issued on Atlantic. ~ Tim Sendra
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,245
- UPC: 090431684023
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
From the Vaults of Atlantic Records Product Series:
- Nat Adderley Sayin' Something / Live At Memory Lane (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison ...Hello There, Universe (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I Don't Worry About A Thing / Mose Alive! (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Mose Allison I've Been Doin' Some Thinkin' (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- Mose Allison Swingin' Machine (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Bass Music Categories:
Herbie Hancock Third Plane (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
Milt Hinton Back to Bass-ics (CD) ~
$12.95 Super Savings
- Charles Mingus Ken Burns Jazz Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Charles Mingus Charles Mingus Quintet + Max Roach (Live) (CD) ~
$10.56 Super Savings
- Charles Mingus Clown (Deluxe) (CD) ~ $13.25