An erotic and highly-stylized retelling of Salome's request for the head of John the Baptist.
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 31, 2012
- Originally Released: 1922
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Alla Nazimova, Mitchell Lewis, Nigel De Brulier, Earl Schenck & Rose Dione|
|Performer:||Rose Dione & Nigel De Brulier|
|Directed by||Charles Bryant|
|Director of Photography:||Charles Van Enger|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Screen siren Alla Nazimova heats up the screen with sexuality and lust as Oscar Wilde's classic play, Salome, is hauntingly brought to life in director Charles Bryant's 1923 motion picture production. Although 42 years of age when she played the teenage temptress, Nazimova's highly stylized performance is now considered a classic. The striking set designs which evoke Aubrey Beardsley illustrations, are the work of art director Natacha Rambova, notorious for her incendiary marriage to Rudolph Valentino. Hollywood legend surrounds this production such as the unproven rumor that the Nazimova and her art director insisted on an entirely gay cast and crew. Although greeted with scandal and box office failure when it was finally released, its aesthetic and historic significance earmarked it for preservation by The Library Of Congress in the year 2000.
- History Brought to Life: Cecil B. DeMille goes behind the scenes to show how Hollywood magic brings ancient empires and distant times to life with stunning accuracy and realism.
- Let's Go To The Movies: The birth of motion pictures is featured in this rare short subject. George Melies, John Barrymore, Al Jolson and Mary Pickford appear in archival footage.
Seeking to bring High Art to the American hinterlands, silent film star Alla Nazimova sank a great deal of her own money into her 1922 adaptation of Oscar Wilde's SALOME. Art director Natacha Rambova (notorious as the contentious second wife of Rudolph Valentino) based her set designs on the works of fin-de-siecle artist Aubrey Beardsley. The story remains as always: Salome is coerced by her mother Herodias (Rose Dione) to demand the head of John the Baptist on a platter. She performs an erotic dance around the head, then is crushed to death by Herod's guards. Legend has it that everyone in the supporting cast and production crew of SALOME was homosexual--hand-picked by Nazimova, who reportedly believed that only a gay aggregation could do full justice to her bizarre, excruciatingly stylized cinematic vision.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 1,897
- UPC: 089218681799
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Alpha Video Labels:
- Aces and Eights (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Aces Wild / Wild Mustang (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Art Acord Double Feature: Fighters of the Saddle (Silent) / Pursued (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the Plains (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Across the World (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE