Bye Bye Braverman (Widescreen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
"Four odd-ball buddies, friends of a writer who has had the poor taste to die without warning, join together to take a wildly irreverent ride from Greenwich Village to Brooklyn--only to discover that they sat through the wrong funeral!"
|CYBER SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 5, 2009
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Joseph Wiseman, Sorrell Booke, George Segal, Jack Warden & Jessica Walter|
|Directed by||Sidney Lumet|
|Screenwriting by||Herbert Sargent|
|Composition by||Peter Matz|
|Director of Photography:||Boris Kaufman|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Serpico. Dog Day Afternoon. Prince of the City. In these gritty and distinguished films, director Sidney Lumet held a mirror up to his adopted hometown, New York. In Bye Bye Braverman, he uses a funhouse mirror. The result is hilarious, satiric, wise, giddy - and no less trenchant. Sparked by a blue-ribbon cast, the film follows four Jewish intellectuals jammed into one Volkswagen and squabbling nonstop en route to the funeral of their friend Leslie Braverman. What happens on the way (a fender bender with a Yiddish-spouting African-American cabbie, a stop at the wrong funeral) forms the plot, but the kvetching, joking, fuming and ultimately fearful quartet forms the heart of this smart, sardonic comedy.
BYE BYE BRAVERMAN is a bittersweet adaptation of Wallace Markfield's coldly cynical novel To an Early Grave. Braverman, an idealistic minor author, dies; his four best friends, writers who in one way or another have all sold out, decide to attend his funeral. The foursome includes a disenchanted magazine writer (George Segal), a poet (Jack Warden), a book reviewer (Sorrell Booke), and an embittered bellyacher (Joseph Wiseman). Taking a picaresque journey from Greenwich Village to Brooklyn, the quartet never quite gets to the funeral, but their odyssey unearths many a self-revelation and previously unspoken truth. Like its four leading characters, BYE BYE BRAVERMAN loses its way towards the end, bringing this otherwise insightful comedy/drama to a muddied conclusion.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,366
- UPC: 883316174296
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$12.37 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Comedy genre:
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Attack of the 30's Characters - Cartoon Classics from All Eight Major American Animation Studios (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- Foreplay (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE
- Buster Keaton - Industrial Strength: Classic Commercials, Industrial Films & Archival Rarities (2-DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER SALE
- The Evolved (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER SALE