Doris Day Jumbo - Original Soundtrack
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Billy Rose's Jumbo (Blu-ray) ~ $17.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Billy Rose's "Jumbo" is a classic Hollywood musical with music and lyrics by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart, screenplay by Sidney Sheldon and an all-star cast headed by Doris Day, Jimmy Durante, Martha Raye and Stephen Boyd. This soundtrack continued Doris Day's long succession of hit records for the Columbia label and includes the incomparable "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," "My Romance," "Little Girl Blue" and many more.
- 1.The Circus On Parade
- 2.Over And Over Again
- 3.Why Can't I?
- 4.This Can't Be Love
- 5.The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
- 6.My Romance
- 7.The Most Beautiful Girl In The World (Reprise)
- 8.Little Girl Blue
- 9.Sawdust Spangles And Dreams
Music composed by Richard Rodgers. Lyrics written by Lorenz Hart and Roger Edens.
Principal cast includes: Doris Day, Jimmy Durante, Stephen Boyd, Martha Raye.
Originally released on Columbia Masterworks (2260).
Personnel: Doris Day (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Curtis Brown.
Director: Charles Walters.
Jumbo, the musical theater-cum-circus extravaganza with a score by Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart that producer Billy Rose staged in the cavernous Hippodrome in New York in 1935, took 27 years to be adapted into a motion picture by MGM, and when it was, the script had been replaced with a typical boy-meets-girl (meets elephant!) plot. But half of Rodgers & Hart's score was retained, including the standards "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," "My Romance," and "Little Girl Blue," as was Jimmy Durante, the star of the stage show. The star of the film, however, was Doris Day, in her first movie musical in five years (and her last). Day handled the songs well, especially the interpolations "Why Can't I?," a duet with Martha Raye borrowed from Rodgers & Hart's Spring Is Here, and "This Can't Be Love," lifted from the songwriters' The Boys From Syracuse. Male lead Stephen Boyd's singing was dubbed by the uncredited James Joyce on "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," and the lengthy closing production number, "Sawdust, Spangles and Dreams (Finale)," was really the work of longtime MGM musical director Roger Edens, though it was credited to Rodgers since it was built out of his musical themes. (The words are by Edens, not Hart, who had died 20 years earlier.) Hopelessly dated but enjoyable nevertheless, both the film and soundtrack were modest commercial successes. ~ William Ruhlmann
Doris DayOn Moonlight Bay / By The Light of The Silvery Moon (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Doris Day TCM Spotlight Collection (It's A Great Feeling /... (DVD)
$12.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Doris Day - TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection:... (DVD)
$9.81 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,645
- UPC: 090431680124
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE