Spitfire (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
"Trigger Hicks' neighbors mistake her faith healing prayer for witchcraft. Things get crazy when she saves an abused baby from its parents."
|You Save:||$3.60 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 20, 2009
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Ralph Bellamy & Robert Young|
|Performer:||Sidney Toler, Katharine Hepburn & Robert Young|
|Directed by||John Cromwell|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Katharine Hepburn portrayed everything from queens to a Chinese peasant in her splendid career, but her most unusual role may just be Trigger Hicks in Spitfire. The elegant, cultured Hepburn plays an ornery, rock-chuckin' mountain gal who finds God - and a knack for faith healing - in a pack of stolen Bible cards. But when she exercises her self-declared miraculous powers on a sick baby, the local folks figure Trigger is a force of supernatural evil. Two fine leading men, Robert Young and Ralph Bellamy, lend skilled support in a picture that's Hepburn's all the way: "After the story of Spitfire is forgotten, memories of Miss Hepburn's performance will remain" (The Times (London)).
SPITFIRE stars Katharine Hepburn in a tempestuous performance as Trigger Hicks, an illiterate Ozark Mountains faith healer whose religious zeal and burning temper turn friends into enemies. Fortunately, Trigger's fine looks attract two suitors, John Stafford (Robert Young) and George Fleetwood (Robert Bellamy). Trigger falls for Stafford only to discover that he is married. Wounded by Stafford's failure to inform her of his marital status, Trigger turns to Fleetwood for help when she finds herself in dire straits. Hepburn's performance is intense in this unusual role. Cinematographer Edward Cronjagen uses nimble compositions and flowing camera moves to transform the mountainous setting (actually the San Jacinto range, where the film was shot) into an expressive extension of the characters' emotions.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Falcon Mystery Movie Collection, Volume 1 (3-Disc) (DVD-R)(18)
$27.98 on SALE
Philo Vance Murder Case Collection (2-Disc) (DVD-R)(3)
$25.59 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Graduate (Decades Collection) (Includes CD) (DVD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- 100 Greatest Cult Classics (25-DVD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Too Hot To Handle (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Anna Christie (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Right Stuff (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s, 30s and 40s - Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Blondes and Redheads: Lost Comedy Classics, Volume 2 (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Ultra-Rare Pre-Code Comedies (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE