The Cruise of the Jasper B (Silent)
|CYBER SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 15, 2012
- Originally Released: 1925
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Snitz Edward & Jack Ackroyd|
|Directed by||James W. Horne|
|Screenwriting by||Tay Garnett|
|Produced by||Cecil B. DeMille|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Dashing shirtless star Rod La Rocque headlined this fine Cecil B. DeMille production three years after rocketing to fame in the director's 1923 masterpiece, The Ten Commandments. After a high-profile marriage to beautiful silent star Vilma Banky, La Rocque made a successful transition to sound, appearing in classics such as The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1939) and Meet John Doe (1941) before retiring to a successful real estate career.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
I knew about this film but had never had the opportunity to see it until now. It's a very silly film from story to characterizations to situations to the very titles within the film! I really enjoyed Rod LaRocque's performance--he breezes through this plot, tongue in cheek, with more than a nod to Fairbanks ( who had recently played "the Black Pirate"). In a nod to the female members of the audience, ways were found to keep Mr. LaRocque's handsome bare chest on display for most of the film, something which nay gave been in his contract. The film has a nice comedy pedigree, combining the talents of Tay Garnett (script), John Krafft (titles), and James W. Horne (direction). It's a good looking copy, too--nice image contrast and legible titles, which always makes a silent film more enjoyable!
The only downside to this release is one of, if not THE worst musical score in the history of silent film. It's slow and ponderous, which just doesn't work for a film this peppy and fast-paced. I got tired of being drawn out of the story by this train wreck of a score, so I finally turned the sound off and played an Internet radio station of Isham Jones' music from the 1920's--much, much better.
So, I do recommend this DVD, highly. Just find yourself some other music!
- Sales Rank: 9,605
- UPC: 089218678096
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 CYBER SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 CYBER SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE