Scaramouche (Silent) (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
By day Andre secretly perfects his parries and lunges - and hides his true identity at night behind the mask of stage clown Scaramouche.
|CYBER SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1923
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Ramon Novarro, Alice Terry, Lewis Stone, Lloyd Ingraham & William Humphrey|
|Directed by||Rex Ingram|
|Screenwriting by||Willis Goldbeck|
|Director of Photography:||John F. Seitz|
Description by OLDIES.com:
"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." Thus opens Rafael Sabatini's historical novel on which this fanciful film is based, following the sensational exploits of a young lawyer thrown into the tumult of the French Revolution. There he becomes an actor portraying the celebrated character Scaramouche, a chameleon who plays both rogue and fool. First published in 1921, it became an instant bestseller, flying onto the stage and then to film in just over two years. Silent film heartthrob Ramon Navarro embodies the enigmatic, charasmatic Andre-Louis Moreau, caught up in the romance and fury of times. Upon release, audiences were gripped by Navarro's electrifying performance, deftly navigating between proletariat and revolutionary, love and despair, cynic and idealist. Vive Le France! Vive Scaramouche!
This silent era classic was based on the swashbuckling adventure novel by Rafael Sabatini, the author whose works later inspired such renowned genre favorites as CAPTAIN BLOOD (1935) and THE SEA HAWK (1940). Andre Moreau (Roman Novarro) is a law student during the time of the brewing French Revolution who politically supports his dissatisfied fellow citizens. During a confrontation with the Marquis de la Tour d'Azyr (Lewis Stone), a feared nobleman sympathetic to the royalist cause, the blue blood murders Andre's agitator friend. Unable to engage in swordplay against the legendary prowess of the Marquis, Andre vows revenge and joins a local circus troupe, hiding behind the guise of Scaramouche, a clown, while training in the art of fencing with a master. Andre also falls in love with a woman smitten by the dashing Marquis, but she returns to the troupe when she learns of the nobleman's infidelity. As political unrest boils over into rebellion, Moreau and the Marquis cross steel. SCARAMOUCHE (1923) was remade often, most notably in 1952, which features the cinema's longest sword battle and costarred Stone in a different role.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 47,793
- UPC: 883316168059
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Warner Archive Collection Product Series:
- The 100 - Complete 2nd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- The 100 - Complete 3rd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- 20,000 Years In Sing Sing (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
- The 25th Hour (DVD-R) ~ $12.37 CYBER SALE
- -30- (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Silent Films genre:
- The Pace That Kills (1928 Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- The Average Woman (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Clara Bow Double Feature: My Lady of Whims (1925) (Silent) / Black Oxen (1923) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- A Clouded Name (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Free To Love (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE