Glen Gray and The Casa Loma Orchestra Casa Loma In Hi-Fi!
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$7.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.80 (45% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 29, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Capitol W-747 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Glen Gray and his Casa Loma Orchestra were one of the top dance swing bands in North America in the late 30's and into the 40's. This collection of their best includes his biggest hits "No Name Jive", "Maniac's Ball" and "Casa Loma Stomp".
- 1.No Name Jive
- 2.Memories Of You
- 3.White Jazz
- 4.I Cried For You
- 5.Come And Get It
- 6.Sunrise Serenade
- 7.Maniac's Ball
- 8.Casa Loma Stomp
- 9.Just An Old Manuscript
- 10.Sleepy Time Gal
- 11.Dance Of The Lame Duck
- 12.For You
- 13.Black Jazz
- 14.Smoke Rings
Casa Loma Orchestra: George Van Eps (guitar); Gus Bivona (clarinet, saxophone, alto saxophone); Skeets Herfurt (saxophone, alto saxophone); Ted Nash (saxophone, tenor saxophone); Chuck Gentry (saxophone, baritone saxophone); Murray McEachern (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, trombone); Babe Russin (tenor saxophone); Manny Klein, Conrad Gozzo , Shorty Sherock (trumpet); Joe Howard, Si Zentner, Walter Benson (trombone); Ray Sherman (piano); Mike Rubin (bass instrument); Nick Fatool (drums, drum).
Personnel: Kenny Sargent (vocals); Francis Howard (trombone).
Recording information: 06/18/1956-06/21/1956.
Glen Gray broke up his Casa Loma Orchestra in 1950. Six years later he was persuaded by Capitol to gather together alumni along with some studio musicians to recreate some of his more famous recordings for an LP. This album was a surprise hit, leading to Gray recording a series of records recreating the "sounds of the big bands." In reality these performances are quite predictable and are more nostalgic than creative. With trumpeters Manny Klein and Shorty Sherock, Murray McEachern on trombone and alto, tenor saxophonist Babe Russin, clarinetist Gus Bivona and pianist Ray Sherman contributing solos, the renditions of such songs as "No Name Jive," "Memories of You," "Maniac's Ball," "Casa Loma Stomp" and "Smoke Rings" are not without interest, but are generally not quite as exciting as the original versions. ~ Scott Yanow
Matty Matlock & The Paducah PatrolAnd They Called It Dixieland / Gold Diggers In Dixieland (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Nelson RiddleHey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD)
$3.98 on SALE
Bobby HackettThe Most Beautiful Horn In The World / Night Love (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,649
- UPC: 090431676721
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz General Music Categories:
- 3 Cohens Braid (CD) ~ $15.28
- The 6 & 7 / 8s String Band Echoes of Tom Anderson's: The New Orleans String Jazz (2-CD) ~ $26.26 LABOR DAY
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Impressions (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Aaron Diehl The Bespoke Man's Narrative (CD) ~ $16.18
- Aaron Parks Invisible Cinema (CD) ~ $16.18
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY