Merle Haggard My Love Affair With Trains / The Roots of My Raising
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$2 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: May 28, 2002
- Label: Bgo - Beat Goes On
- 1.My Love Affair With Trains
- 2.Union Station
- 3.Here Comes the Freedom Train
- 4.So Long Train Whistle
- 5.The Silver Ghost
- 6.No More Trains to Ride
- 7.The Coming and the Going of the Trains
- 8.I Won't Give Up My Train
- 9.Where Have All the Hobos Gone
- 10.Railroad Lady
- 11.The Hobo
- 12.The Roots of My Raising
- 13.What Have You Got Planned Tonight Diana
- 14.The Waltz You Saved for Me
- 15.Walk on the Outside
- 16.Gambling Polka Dot Blues
- 17.Cherokee Maiden
- 18.Am I Standing in Your Way
- 20.I Never Go Around Mirrors (I've Got a Heartache to Hide)
- 21.Mississippi Delta Blues
2 LPs on 1 CD: MY LOVE AFFAIR WITH TRAINS (1976)/THE ROOTS OF MY RAISING (1976).
Liner Note Author: Maurice Hope.
This import BGO two-fer combines Merle Haggard's last two records for Capitol, both of them from 1976. My Love Affair With Trains harkens back to Haggard's tribute album to Jimmie Rodgers in spirit. It is narrated between cuts, offering different facts, from the history of the railroads to Haggard's personal observations. While he only contributes one original to the set ("No More Trains to Ride"), it nonetheless bears a deeply personal and heartfelt stamp with cuts by Mark Yeary, the title by Dolly Parton, Dave Kirby, and Red Lane. Haggard weaves an iconographic history of the rails -- from past to present to uncertain future -- seamlessly and with great taste. Likewise, The Roots of My Raising is also a deep and moving personal statement. Again, there is only one original on the set ("Am I Standing in Your Way"), but it is no less symbolic an album than My Love Affair With Trains. The Roots of My Raising garnered Haggard two number one singles in the title track and Cindy Walker's classic "Cherokee Maiden," which had been a hit for Bob Wills in 1941 -- Haggard's version uses the same melody. These "roots" Haggard is referring to are loose and slippery; some of them are stylistic and musical roots, hence Jimmie Rodgers' "Delta Blues" and "Gamblin' Polka Dot Blues" as well as Lefty Frizzell's "I Never Go Around Mirrors," while others seem episodically biographical, such as Dave Kirby's "Walk on the Outside," Norm Hamlet's "The Waltz You Saved for Me," and the mythical but symbolic "What Have You Got Planned Tonight Diana?" Together they mark an excellent bookend to the Capitol period, but both albums stand up just as well on their own. ~ Thom Jurek
Merle HaggardIt's Not Love (But It's Not Bad)/If We Make It Through...
Merle Haggard / Bonnie OwensJust Between the Two of Us / The Fightin' Side of Me
Merle HaggardA Tribute to the Best Damn Fiddle Player in the World /...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Hard, Hard Traveling Man [Bear Family] (4-CD Box Set)
$94.15 Super Savings
A Tombstone Every Mile [Bear Family] (7-CD Box Set)
$179.51 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE