- Released: February 15, 2005
- Label: Bgo - Beat Goes On
- 1.It's Not Love (But It's Not Bad)
- 2.Goodbye Comes Hard for Me
- 3.My Woman Keeps Lovin' Her Man
- 4.New York City Blues
- 5.I Wonder What She'll Think About Me Leaving
- 6.The Conversion of Ronnie Jones
- 7.A Shoulder to Cry On
- 8.I'd Never Told on You
- 9.Dad's Old Fiddle
- 10.Somewhere to Come When It Rains
- 11.I Wonder Where I'll Find You at Tonight
- 12.If We Make It Through December
- 13.Love and Honor
- 14.To Each His Own
- 15.You're the Only Girl in the Game
- 16.I'm an Old, Old Man (Tryin' to Live While I Can)
- 17.Come on into My Arms
- 18.Better Off When I Was Hungry
- 19.I'll Break Out Again Tonight
- 20.This Cold War
- 21.Uncle Lem
- 22.There's Just One Way
2 LPs on 1 CD: IT'S NOT LOVE (BUT IT'S NOT BAD) (1972)/IF WE CAN MAKE IT THROUGH DECEMBER (1974).
Personnel: Merle Haggard (vocals, guitar).
Audio Remasterer: Andrew Thompson .
Audio Remixer: Hugh Davies.
Liner Note Author: Maurice Hope.
Recording information: Nashville, TN.
Photographer: David Alexander .
This BGO two-fer features two of Merle Haggard's Capitol albums from the early '70s. These are largely unheralded despite the fact that they are solid offerings from Hag. Of course, the title track of If We Make It Through December is one of his greatest singles, but there's much more here, too: "Uncle Lem," "New York City Blues," "A Shoulder to Cry On," "Dad's Old Fiddle," and "Come on into My Arms" reveal Haggard's more sentimental side, but that's not to say that these recordings are not powerful. They are, and the man was at the top of his game and remained that way into the 21st century. ~ Thom Jurek