Thomas Dolby Astronauts & Heretics
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 4, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Giant Records 24478-2 (1992)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released in 1992, this album features Dolby backed by several notable musicians, including Eddi Reader (on "Cruel"), Eddie Van Halen, Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Ofra Haza and Budgie. The song "Eastern Bloc" (a sequel to "Europa And The Pirate Twins") hit #9 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.
Entertainment Weekly - 11/6/92, p.67"...his best album yet...this catchy little jewel has vision to spare..." - Rating: A-
Musician - 2/93, p.91"...its well-crafted tunes and streamlined technopop sound make it more than respectable...Thomas Dolby's still got plenty of ideas..."
- 1.I Love You Goodbye
- 3.Silk Pyjamas
- 4.I Live In A Suitcase
- 5.Eastern Bloc
- 6.Close But No Cigar
- 7.That's Why People Fall In Love
- 8.Neon Sisters
- 9.Beauty Of A Dream
Personnel: Thomas Dolby (vocals, guitar, piano, organ, keyboards, programming); Eddi Reader (vocals); Larry Treadwell, Jon E. Love, Tommy Gutman Sanchez (guitar); Al Tharp (banjo, background vocals); Jimmy Z (saxophone); Wayne Toups (accordion, background vocals); Jimmy Breaux (accordion); Terry Jackson, Matthew Seligman, Leland Sklar (bass); Budgie, David Owens (drums); Rafael Padilla (percussion); Suzanne Malline, Cynthia Moliere, Teresita Alsander, Mr. Pits, Loz Netto, Marcus Wallis, Laura Creamer, Mike Kapitan (background vocals).
Personnel: Thomas Dolby (vocals, keyboards); Eddie Van Halen, Jerry Garcia, Ofra Haza, Bob Weir.
1992's ASTRONAUTS AND HERETICS was something of a comeback album for Thomas Dolby. In the eight years since his quietly excellent second album, THE FLAT EARTH, Dolby had released only a surprisingly disappointing collaboration with George Clinton under the name Dolby's Cube, and a substandard experiment in techno-funk, 1988's ALIENS ATE MY BUICK.
Though ASTRONAUTS AND HERETICS is credited to the same band, The Lost Toy People, as ALIENS, it gets off on the good foot, returning to the smart, melodic synthpop that made Dolby's name. Dolby even acknowledges his renewed focus by including "Eastern Bloc," a self-described sequel to his first hit single, 1982's "Europa and the Pirate Twins." Other highlights include the effervescent "I Love You Goodbye," and "Cruel," a lovely duet with ex-Fairground Attraction singer Eddi Reader.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 4,203
- UPC: 090431676226
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Ending on a High Note: The Final Concert - Live at Oslo... (CD)(12)
$12.35 Super Savings
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE
- Cannonball Adderley Greatest Hits (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE