Randy Weston African Cookbook
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.49 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 5, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD 1609 (1972)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released on Weston's Bakton label in 1972, and issued on CD by Atlantic in 1999, this recording features Randy Weston on piano backed by Booker Ervin on tenor sax, Ray Copeland on trumpet, Vishnu Wood on bass, Lenny McBrowne on drums, and Sir Harold Murray on percussion.
- 1.Berkshire Blues
- 2.Portrait Of Vivian
- 3.Willie's Tune
- 4.Niger Mambo
- 5.African Cookbook
- 6.Congolese Children
- 7.Blues For Five Reasons
Personnel includes: Randy Weston (piano); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Ray Copeland (trumpet).
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.
Personnel: Randy Weston (piano, celesta); Big Black (vocals); Booker Ervin (tenor saxophone); Ray Copeland (trumpet, flugelhorn); Lenny McBrowne, Vishnu Wood (bass instrument); Harrold Murray (percussion).
This fine, long out-of-print album by jazz pianist/composer Randy Weston is available again. Long one of jazz best (and most underrated) composers, Weston was one of the first American jazz musicians to investigate and embrace the African influences in jazz. (He lived in Africa for a time in the 1970s.) A spare yet melodic, Thelonious Monk-influenced pianist, Weston led a great band in 1964--when AFRICAN COOKBOOK was recorded--featuring the big Texas tenor sax of the late Booker Ervin. The rest of the band plays with inspiration and restraint. Weston weaves the African influence subtly into his inviting compositions--though the influence, Weston might say, was there all along. His tunes are warm, catchy, rich with the flavors of Monk, Duke Ellington and African music. Listening to this album is like sitting down to a sumptuous meal, one you wish to savor.
Blue Moses (Cti Records 40TH Anniversary Ed.) (CD)
Riverside: The Riverside Records Story (4-CD Box Set)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Zep Tepi, The Randy Weston African Rhythms Trio (CD)
$13.78 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 090431675922
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY