Duke Pearson Honeybuns
|You Save:||$13.98 (93% Off)|
Special Pricing: One per customer, per order.
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Duke Pearson ~ Prairie Dog ~ $8.43
- Released: August 26, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 3002 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
A talented hard bop, jazz pianist, Duke Pearson influenced a generation of performers. This classic 1966 LP features Pearson leading some of the best artists of the era including Pepper Adams, Les Spann and Garnett Brown.
- 2.New Girl
- 3.You Know I Care
- 4.Is That So
- 5.Our Love
- 6.Heavy Legs
Duke Pearson Nonet: Duke Pearson (piano); James Spaulding (alto saxophone); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone, clarinet); Les Spann (flute); Johnny Coles (trumpet); Garnett Brown (trombone); Bob Cranshaw (bass); Mickey Roker (drums).
Producer: Joel Dorn.
Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.
Recorded in New York, New York on May 25 & 26, 1965. Originally released on Atlantic (3002). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.
Duke Pearson: Duke Pearson (piano); Garnett Brown, Les Spann, Pepper Adams.
Personnel: Les Spann (flute); Pepper Adams (clarinet, baritone saxophone); James Spaulding (alto saxophone); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Johnny Coles (trumpet); Garnett Brown (trombone); Bob Cranshaw (bass instrument); Mickey Roker (drum).
This 1998 Koch CD reissues a Duke Pearson LP from 1966, containing music from the previous year. Other than "Our Love" (a familiar classical theme adapted to American pop music by Larry Clinton), all six selections are originals by the pianist. Utilizing a nonet that includes trumpeter Johnny Coles (who does his best to be soulful on "Honeybuns"), trombonist Garnett Brown, flutist Les Spann, altoist James Spaulding, tenor saxophonist George Coleman, baritonist Pepper Adams, bassist Bob Cranshaw, and drummer Mickey Roker, Pearson performs music in a style that would have fit in quite well on Blue Note. Most memorable among his originals is "Is That So." This is not an essential date, but it is nice to have this rarity back in print again. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 246
- UPC: 090431675427
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Jo Armstead Stone Good Lover - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Arrogants "Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature The Mystical Mammal (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature Soothing Summer Breeze (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
- Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~ $20.27
- Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~ $13.48
Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Monty Alexander / Sly & Robbie
Monty Meets Sly & Robbie (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08