Afternoon In Paris
|You Save:||$4.54 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Benny Golson ~ Groovin' with Golson ~ $9.88
- by Oscar Peterson ~ Jazz in Paris: Stephane Grappelli Quartet, Volume 1 ~ $9.88
- by Thad Jones ~ The Magnificent Thad Jones ~ $13.49
- by Kenny Drew ~ Undercurrent (Limited) ~ $10.78
- Released: October 2, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1267 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released on Atlantic Records in 1957, this album features Modern Jazz Quartet leader John Lewis paired with French jazz guitarist Sacha Distel. Tracks 1-3 feature Lewis on piano, Distel on guitar, Barney Wilen on tenor sax, Pierre Michelot on bass and Connie Kay on drums. On track 4-6, Michelot and Kay are replaced by Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke.
- 1.I Cover The Waterfront
- 2.Dear Old Stockholm
- 3.Afternoon In Paris
- 4.All The Things You Are
- 5.Bags' Groove
- 6.Willow Weep For Me
Personnel: John Lewis (piano); Sacha Distel (guitar); Barney Wilen (tenor saxophone); Pierre Michelot, Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay, Kenny Clarke (drums).
Recorded in Paris, France on December 4 & 7, 1956. Includes liner notes by
Ralph J. Gleason.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).
John Lewis/Sacha Distel: John Lewis (piano); Sacha Distel (guitar); Barney Wilen (tenor saxophone); Percy Heath, Pierre Michelot (bass instrument); Connie Kay, Kenny Clarke (drums).
It was in Paris that John Lewis co-led this 1956 date with Sacha Distel, a French guitarist who never became well-known in the U.S. but commanded a lot of respect in French jazz circles. The same can be said about the other French players employed on Afternoon in Paris -- neither tenor saxophonist Barney Wilen nor bassist Pierre Michelot were huge names in the U.S., although both were well-known in European jazz circles. With Lewis on piano, Distel on guitar, Wilen on tenor, Michelot or Percy Heath on bass, and Kenny Clarke or Connie Kay on drums, the part-American, part-French group of improvisers provides an above-average bop album that ranges from "Willow Weep for Me," "All The Things You Are," and "I Cover the Waterfront" to Milt Jackson's "Bags' Groove" and Lewis' title song. The big-toned Wilen was only 19 when Afternoon in Paris was recorded, but as his lyrical yet hard-swinging solos demonstrate, he matured quickly as a saxman. It should be noted that all of the Americans on this album had been members of the Modern Jazz Quartet; the only MJQ member who isn't on board is vibist Jackson. ~ Alex Henderson
Herman FosterExplosive Piano of Herman Foster / Have You Heard? (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Charles Lloyd / Warne MarshFlowering of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet / Warne... (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,495
- UPC: 090431675229
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3