Afternoon In Paris
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$7.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.80 (45% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Benny Golson ~ Groovin' with Golson ~ $9.88
- by Oscar Peterson ~ Jazz in Paris: Stephane Grappelli Quartet, Volume 1 ~ $9.88
- by Thad Jones ~ The Magnificent Thad Jones ~ $13.17
- by Kenny Drew ~ Undercurrent (Limited) ~ $10.78
- Released: October 2, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1267 (1957)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released on Atlantic Records in 1957, this album features Modern Jazz Quartet leader John Lewis paired with French jazz guitarist Sacha Distel. Tracks 1-3 feature Lewis on piano, Distel on guitar, Barney Wilen on tenor sax, Pierre Michelot on bass and Connie Kay on drums. On track 4-6, Michelot and Kay are replaced by Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke.
- 1.I Cover The Waterfront
- 2.Dear Old Stockholm
- 3.Afternoon In Paris
- 4.All The Things You Are
- 5.Bags' Groove
- 6.Willow Weep For Me
Personnel: John Lewis (piano); Sacha Distel (guitar); Barney Wilen (tenor saxophone); Pierre Michelot, Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay, Kenny Clarke (drums).
Recorded in Paris, France on December 4 & 7, 1956. Includes liner notes by
Ralph J. Gleason.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).
John Lewis/Sacha Distel: John Lewis (piano); Sacha Distel (guitar); Barney Wilen (tenor saxophone); Percy Heath, Pierre Michelot (bass instrument); Connie Kay, Kenny Clarke (drums).
It was in Paris that John Lewis co-led this 1956 date with Sacha Distel, a French guitarist who never became well-known in the U.S. but commanded a lot of respect in French jazz circles. The same can be said about the other French players employed on Afternoon in Paris -- neither tenor saxophonist Barney Wilen nor bassist Pierre Michelot were huge names in the U.S., although both were well-known in European jazz circles. With Lewis on piano, Distel on guitar, Wilen on tenor, Michelot or Percy Heath on bass, and Kenny Clarke or Connie Kay on drums, the part-American, part-French group of improvisers provides an above-average bop album that ranges from "Willow Weep for Me," "All The Things You Are," and "I Cover the Waterfront" to Milt Jackson's "Bags' Groove" and Lewis' title song. The big-toned Wilen was only 19 when Afternoon in Paris was recorded, but as his lyrical yet hard-swinging solos demonstrate, he matured quickly as a saxman. It should be noted that all of the Americans on this album had been members of the Modern Jazz Quartet; the only MJQ member who isn't on board is vibist Jackson. ~ Alex Henderson
Herman FosterExplosive Piano of Herman Foster / Have You Heard? (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Charles Lloyd / Warne MarshFlowering of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet / Warne... (CD)
$6.37 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,420
- UPC: 090431675229
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$9.38 Super Savings
Jazz Instrument: Bebop Music Categories:
- Jamey Aebersold 500 Miles High (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Jamey Aebersold Dave Brubeck: In Your Own Sweet Way (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Jamey Aebersold Fusion (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- Jamey Aebersold It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD) ~ $18.71 LABOR DAY
- Jamey Aebersold Kenny Werner: Freeplay (CD) ~ $15.39 LABOR DAY
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY