Freddie Hubbard The Black Angel
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 2, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic SD1549 (1970)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released on Atlantic Records in 1970, Hubbard is joined by Jimmy Spaulding on alto sax, Kenny Barron or piano, Reggie Workman on bass and Louis Hayes on drums on this recording.
- 3.The Black Angel
- 4.Gittin' Down
- 5.Coral Keys
Personnel: Freddie Hubbard (trumpet); James Spaulding (alto saxophone, flute); Kenny Barron (acoustic & electric piano); Reggie Workman (bass); Louis Hayes (drums); Carlos "Patato" Valdes (congas, maracas).
Producer: Gil Fuller.
Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.
Recorded at Regent Sound Studios, New York, New York. Originally released on Atlantic (1549). Includes liner notes by Ed Williams.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).
Freddie Hubbard released The Black Angel in the same year as the landmark Miles Davis album Bitches Brew. Its obvious Hubbard wanted to appeal to the emerging crossover rock/jazz crowd of the era. The presence of bop, however, still permeated Hubbard's playing, unlike Miles who had long since dropped the form. The opening Hubbard composition "Spacetrack" contains fiery avant garde interplay between Hubbard, James Spaulding on alto and Kenny Barron's electric piano. Thanks to Spaulding and bassist Reggie Workman, much of the playing here maintains intensity. The other Hubbard penned originals, "Gittin Down" is an urgent hard swinging boogaloo and the ballad "Eclipse" features Spaulding on flute and Barron on piano. "Coral Keys" written by Walter Bishop, Jr. and Barron's "Black Angel have a Latin tinge highlighted by Spaulding's soaring flute and the congas of Carlos "Patato" Valdes. An enjoyable session leaving the impression Hubbard was preparing to take a different musical direction. ~ Al Campbell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,900
- UPC: 090431675021
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(20)
$3.85 Super Savings
An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic... (CD)(6)
$12.58 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE