Teddy Charles Word From Bird...
|You Save:||$11.98 (92% Off)|
Special Pricing: One per customer, per order.
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 2, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Atlantic 1274 (1957)
- 1.Word From Bird
- 3.Show Time
- 4.When Your Lover Has Gone
- 5.Just One Of Those Things
- 6.Blue Greens
Personnel: Teddy Charles (vibraharp); Hal Stein (alto saxophone); Robert Newman (tenor saxophone); George Barrow (baritone saxophone); Art Farmer (trumpet); Jim Buffington (French horn); Eddie Bert (trombone); Hall OVerton (piano); Jimmy Raney (guitar); Charles Mingus, Addison Farmer (bass); Ed Shaughnessy (drums).
Producer: Nesuhi Ertegun.
Reissue producers: Donald Elfman, Naomi Yoshii.
Recorded on October 23 & November 12, 1956. Originally released on Atlantic (1274). Includes liner notes by Gary Kramer.
Digitally remastered by Gene Paul (DB Plus, New York, New York).
Personnel: Teddy Charles (vibraharp); Jimmy Raney (guitar); Hal Stein (alto saxophone); Robert Newman (tenor saxophone); George Barrow (baritone saxophone); Art Farmer (trumpet); Jim Buffington (French horn); Eddie Bert (trombone); Don Butterfield (tuba); Hall Overton (piano); Addison Farmer (upright bass); Ed Shaughnessy (drums).
Liner Note Author: Gary Kramer.
This Koch reissue brings to light a forgotten 1957 Atlantic session from vibraphonist Teddy Charles. Although much of this material falls under the category of cool jazz, the leadoff and title track "Word From Bird" features a full ensemble and caused some controversy for its third stream approach. Commissioned for the Stuttgart Light-Music Festival in 1956, the festival directors ended up rejecting it, insisting it was too musically advanced and serious for a "light music" festival. The swinging uptempo Bob Brookmeyer composition "Show Time" features admirable soloing from Charles, Hal Stein on alto, Robert Newman on tenor, trumpeter Art Farmer, and Jimmy Rainey on guitar. The four remaining tracks feature the rhythm section only with Hall Overton on piano, Charles Mingus on bass, and Ed Shaughnessy on drums. Cole Porter's "Just One of Those Things," a haunting version of "Laura," "When Your Lover Has Gone," and the midtempo "Blue Greens" lazily gallops along with Mingus receiving ample solo space. Word From Bird is an enjoyable reissue. ~ Al Campbell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 145
- UPC: 090431674727
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nat Adderley Hummin' (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Alisha Bounce Back (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures "Acappella" Starlight Sessions, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Ernestine Anderson New Sound Of (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Jo Armstead Stone Good Lover - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Arrogants "Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature The Mystical Mammal (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- At Peace With Nature Soothing Summer Breeze (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE