Duke Ellington Symphonic Ellington
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.48 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.49 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington ~ Blues In Orbit (Legacy) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Duke Ellington ~ Ellington Uptown ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Duke Ellington ~ The Private Collection, Volume 05: New York, 1968 & 1970 ~ $13.25
- by Duke Ellington ~ Second Sacred Concert (Live) ~ $10.56
- by Duke Ellington ~ Three Suites ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Reprise 6097 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Subtitled "Duke Ellington and his orchestra and 500 of Europe's finest musicians," this is a CD reissue of Ellington's 1963 album - featuring his orchestra along with the symphony and opera orchestras of Paris, Hamburg, Stockholm and La Scala.
Down Beat - 6/93, p.513 Stars - Good - "...THE SYMPHONIC ELLINGTON involves a now-fully-stabilized 1963 personnel plus, in [annotator Stanley] Dance's words, 'some 500 of the best talents from the symphonic resources of Paris, Hamburg, Stockholm and Milan'..."
- 1.Night Creature, 1st Movement
- 2.Night Creature, 2nd Movement
- 3.Night Creature, 3rd Movement
- 4.Non-Violent Integration
- 5.La Scala, She Too Pretty To Be Blue
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Duke Ellington; Lawrence D. Brown, Lawrence Brown (trombone); Ernie Shepard (double bass); Ray Nance (violin, cornet); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Cootie Williams, Roy Burrowes, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Buster Cooper (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Liner Note Author: Stanley Dance.
Recording information: Germany; Milan, Italy; Paris, France; Stockholm, Sweden.
In 1963 Duke Ellington realized a longtime goal, to record some of his extended works using both a symphony orchestra and his regular big band. Included on this fine CD are the three movements of "Night Creature," the relatively brief "Non-Violent Integration," "La Scala," and an adaptation of Ellington's "Harlem Air Shaft." With most of his all-star soloists heard from in this program and a complete avoidance of trying to make his music sound so-called "respectable" or self-consciously third stream, Ellington's arrangements keep the strings from weighing down the proceedings and the music is actually quite successful. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 62,416
- UPC: 090431673126
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $22.49 LABOR DAY
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 101 Strings Orchestra A Portrait Of 'The Lady' (LP) ~ $7.49 LABOR DAY
- 10DB I Second that Emotion / I Second that Emotion (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- 2 Black 2 Strong MMG Burn Baby Burn (LP) ~ $4.99 LABOR DAY
Jazz Instrument: Big Band Music Categories:
- Ambrose (Big Band) The Hottest of the Decca 'M' Series (1929-1930) (CD) ~ $15.76
- Ambrose (Big Band) Legendary 1929 Sessions (CD) ~ $14.80 LABOR DAY
- Ivie Anderson I Got It Good and That Ain't Bad! (CD) ~ $18.51 LABOR DAY
- The Andrews Sisters Very Best Of (CD) ~ $9.58 LABOR DAY
- Ray Anthony The Navy Show Broadcasts (CD) ~ $17.04 LABOR DAY