Duke Ellington Symphonic Ellington
|You Save:||$9.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington ~ Blues In Orbit (Legacy) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Duke Ellington ~ Ellington Uptown ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Duke Ellington ~ The Private Collection, Volume 05: New York, 1968 & 1970 ~ $13.25
- by Duke Ellington ~ Second Sacred Concert (Live) ~ $10.56
- by Duke Ellington ~ Three Suites ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Reprise 6097 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Subtitled "Duke Ellington and his orchestra and 500 of Europe's finest musicians," this is a CD reissue of Ellington's 1963 album - featuring his orchestra along with the symphony and opera orchestras of Paris, Hamburg, Stockholm and La Scala.
Down Beat - 6/93, p.513 Stars - Good - "...THE SYMPHONIC ELLINGTON involves a now-fully-stabilized 1963 personnel plus, in [annotator Stanley] Dance's words, 'some 500 of the best talents from the symphonic resources of Paris, Hamburg, Stockholm and Milan'..."
- 1.Night Creature, 1st Movement
- 2.Night Creature, 2nd Movement
- 3.Night Creature, 3rd Movement
- 4.Non-Violent Integration
- 5.La Scala, She Too Pretty To Be Blue
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Duke Ellington; Lawrence D. Brown, Lawrence Brown (trombone); Ernie Shepard (double bass); Ray Nance (violin, cornet); Russell Procope (clarinet, alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (bass clarinet, baritone saxophone); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Cootie Williams, Roy Burrowes, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Buster Cooper (trombone); Chuck Connors (bass trombone); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Liner Note Author: Stanley Dance.
Recording information: Germany; Milan, Italy; Paris, France; Stockholm, Sweden.
In 1963 Duke Ellington realized a longtime goal, to record some of his extended works using both a symphony orchestra and his regular big band. Included on this fine CD are the three movements of "Night Creature," the relatively brief "Non-Violent Integration," "La Scala," and an adaptation of Ellington's "Harlem Air Shaft." With most of his all-star soloists heard from in this program and a complete avoidance of trying to make his music sound so-called "respectable" or self-consciously third stream, Ellington's arrangements keep the strings from weighing down the proceedings and the music is actually quite successful. ~ Scott Yanow
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 15,717
- UPC: 090431673126
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- Lee Andrews & The Hearts Gotham Recording Sessions (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Andromeda Project Rhythm Is Gonna Get You (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Aramis Camilo Ponteme a la Talalala (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Aramis Camilo Realidad (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Louis Armstrong Connection, Volume 10: The Orchestra [Import] (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "Nature Wonders" Series Nature Wonders 2 (3-CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- #1 Soul Hits of the 1980's #1 Soul Hits of The 1980's (CD) ~ $10.27 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE