- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: October 1, 2007
- Label: Mr Bongo
Rolling Stone - 10/30/97, p.683 Stars (out of 5)
- "...The music of the seminal 1982 hip-hop flick...features some classic rap performances, now available domestically for the first time....there's some serious manna for hip-hop junkies here..."
Spin - 1/98, p.88
Included on Spin's list of "Unheard Music." - "The formerly out-of-print manifesto is the hip-hop head's Holy Grail....On WILD STYLE, Kangol-kids such as the Cold Crush Bros. and Fab 5 Freddy made a party train out of (almost) nothing in the desolation of the South Bronx..."
The Wire - p.66
"[W]ith punchy jams densely packed with samples, turntable skills and rapping....The rapping from crews such as The Cold Crush Brothers and The Fantastic Freaks is often outstanding..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Military Cut - (Scratch Mix)
- 2.M.C. Battle
- 3.Basketball Throwdown
- 4.Fantastic Freaks at the Dixie
- 5.Subway Theme - (Scratch Mix, previously unreleased)
- 6.The Cold Crush Brothers at the Ampitheatre
- 7.Busy Bee's Limo Rap - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Cuckoo Clocking
- 9.Stoop Rap
- 10.Double Trouble at the Ampitheatre - (Original Mix)
- 11.South Bronx Subway Rap - (previously unreleased)
- 12.The Chief Rockers Busy Bee, D.J. at the Ampitheatre
- 13.Busy Bee at the Ampitheatre - (Scratch Mix)
- 14.Fantastic Freaks at the Ampitheatre
- 15.Gangbusters - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Rammellzee & Shockdell at the Ampitheatre - (Charlie Chase Scratch Mix, bonus track)
- 17.Down by Law - (Charlie Chase Scratch Mix, bonus track)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Wildstyle Lesson - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Limousine Rap - (Crime Don't Pay Mix)
- 3.Basketball Throwdown - (Dixie: Razorcut Mix)
- 4.Stoop Rap - (LP Version South Bronx Mix)
- 5.Street Rap - (Subway Mix, previously unreleased)
- 6.Stoop Rap - (previously unreleased)
- 7.B Boy Beat - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Yawning Beat - (previously unreleased)
- 9.Crime Cut - (previously unreleased)
- 10.Gangbusters - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Cuckoo Clocking - (previously unreleased)
- 12.Meetings - (previously unreleased)
- 13.Military Cut - (previously unreleased)
- 14.Razor Cut - (previously unreleased)
- 15.Subway Theme - (previously unreleased)
- 16.Busy Bees - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Down by Law - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Baby Beat - (previously unreleased)
- 19.Jungle Beat - (previously unreleased)
- 20.Wildstyle Battle Weapon - (previously unreleased)
Producers: Charlie Ahearn, "Fab 5 Freddy" Brathwaite, Chris Stein.
Reissue producers: Charlie Ahearn, Chris Clarke.
Engineers: Larry Scharf, Bernard Nobel, Russell Fager.
Includes liner notes by Patti Astor, Fred Brathwaite, Chris Clarke.
Digitally remastered by Chris Clarke, Dan Hersch.
Personnel: Chris Stein (guitar); David Harpur (bass guitar); Lenny Ferrari (drums).
DJs: D.J. A.J.; Shockdel; Grandmaster Flash; Grandmixer D.ST; Lil Rodney Cee.
Audio Remixers: Kev Luckhurst; Phillip James.
Photographer: C. Campbell.
Wild Style largely went unseen upon its 1983 release, but its soundtrack became one of the key records of early-'80s hip-hop, providing rappers with a treasure trove of beats and rhymes. None of the cuts on Wild Style became crossover hits, but the songs became underground staples, inspiring new rappers and offering rhythms that were sampled over the years. Although much of this music now sounds dated, the rhymes and rhythms remain exciting, illustrating why Wild Style was one of the cornerstones of underground hip-hop in the '80s. A two-disc 25th Anniversary Edition of the soundtrack, released in 2007 to coincide with the DVD issue of the movie, adds unreleased material -- beats and loops -- as well as a "Wild Style lesson." ~ Leo Stanley