- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Conductor/accompanist/arranger/soloist Andre Previn's career has spanned more than six decades - he received his first recording contract at the ripe young age of 18, and a remarkable Hollywood career followed. This disc is an issue of Previn's 1960 Columbia release, which focused on songs from Broadway musicals. Among the many highlights are "Give My Regards To Broadway", "The Sound of Music", and "Too Darn Hot".
- 1.Give My Regards To Broadway (From "Little Johnny Jones")
- 2.Take Me Along (From "Take Me Along")
- 3.Almost Like Being In Love (From "Brigadoon")
- 4.The Sound Of Music (From "The Sound Of Music")
- 5.Put On A Happy Face (From "Bye Bye Birdie")
- 6.Too Close For Comfort (From "Mr. Wonderful")
- 7.When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love (From "Finian's Rainbow")
- 8.Everything's Coming Up Roses (From "Gypsy")
- 9.Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend (From "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes")
- 10.Too Darn Hot (From "Kiss Me, Kate")
Personnel: Andre Previn (piano); Red Mitchell (bass); Frank Capp (drums).
Personnel: Andr? Previn (piano); Frank Capp (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Lauren Hasten.
Liner Note Author: Leonard Feather.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (05/27/1960/05/31/1960).
Illustrator: Leonard Slonevsky.
One of pianist Andre Previn's first recordings after leaving the Contemporary label, this trio workout with bassist Red Mitchell and drummer Frank Capp is very much in the same straight-ahead genre. Previn's trio performs ten show tunes from ten different productions. Virtually all of the songs are still quite well known, including "Almost Like Being In Love," "The Sound of Music," "Too Close for Comfort" and "Diamond's Are a Girl's Best Friend." Previn really digs into the material (some of which is rarely played in a jazz setting), and, by adding swing and some subtle reharmonizations, turns the songs into straight-ahead jazz. ~ Scott Yanow