- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 30, 2000
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes
- Behind the Scenes:
- "On the Moon: Behind the Moonlight"
- "Spotlight on Location: The Making Of MAN ON THE MOON"
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- R.E.M. - "Man on the Moon"
- R.E.M. - "The Great Beyond"
- Scene Selection
- Hidden Features
- Biographies: Andy Kaufman - Subject
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Courtney Love &
Norm MacDonald &
Adam Boome &
Larry Karaszewski &
Peter Buck &
Christopher Lloyd &
Stacey Sher &
Director of Photography:
USA Today - 06/02/2000
"...Carrey scores mightily in an eerily spectacular make-or-break performance that nails the public persona of [Andy Kaufman]..."
"...[Carrey gives] a virtuoso turn that unerringly captures the behavioral quirkiness and disquieting vacantness of the man he's portraying..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 02/??/2000
"[Carrey gives] a dazzling performance that maintains its intensity throughout..."
Premiere - 07/01/2000
"...[See] it for Carrey's creepy impersonation act..." -- 3 out of 5 stars
Box Office - 02/01/2000
"...It is a fascinating, whirlwind tour through the life of a true Hollywood enigma....The film does offer an illuminating dissection of Kaufman's comedic style and philosophy..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/22/1999
"...Carrey is a major fan and seems to have an intuitive understanding of his bizarre subject. His performance is a brilliant, almost terrifying impersonation..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 12/22/1999
"...What is most wonderful about MAN ON THE MOON, a very good film, is that it remains true to Kaufman's stubborn vision....The film has a heroic performance from Jim Carrey..."
In a remarkable and touching performance, Jim Carrey tones down his usual idiosyncrasies to play late avant garde comedian Andy Kaufman in MAN ON THE MOON. In life, Kaufman was a complex, controversial, and, at times, insane performer, and Carrey captures this, as well as the subtle nuances of his more toned-down private life. Director Milos Forman stages faithful recreations of Kaufman's pranks, method-like immersion in characters, and even scenes from TAXI, the hit TV show that made him a star, but also follows the comedian through his tragic diagnosis with cancer and his loving relationship with his girlfriend Lynne Margulies (Courtney Love). Danny DeVito, Kaufman's real-life TAXI co-star, plays George Shapiro, the manager who discovers him and is willing to put up with all his antics, acknowledging Andy's wry genius. Along the way on his self-made rocky road of stardom, Kaufman reinvents himself as a foreign man who mangles jokes, and as Elvis; lip-syncs the MIGHTY MOUSE cartoon theme after a full minute of dead air time on Saturday Night Live; becomes a "professional" wrestler, and subsequently manages to sabotage his TV career. The supporting cast in MAN ON THE MOON is excellent, including Paul Giamatti has his comedic partner-in-crime, and many members of the real cast of TAXI.
Comedians / Comediennes |
Standup Comedians |
- The title MAN ON THE MOON refers to an R.E.M. song about Andy Kaufman from the album AUTOMATIC FOR THE PEOPLE.
- Director Forman could not decide between Edward Norton and Jim Carrey for the lead role, so he left it up to the studio.
- Jim Carrey and Andy Kaufman were both born on January 17.
- The role of Andy's sister, Carol Kaufman, was played by Andy's granddaughter, Brittany Colonna.