The Command (Widescreen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
A healer must learn how to kill in this compelling Western. An army doctor takes command of a decimated cavalry unit under attack by Indians.
|CYBER SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
More products that might interest you:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1954
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Guy Madison, Joan Weldon, Harvey Lembeck, James Whitmore & Carl Benton Reid|
|Directed by||David Butler|
|Screenwriting by||Russell Hughes & Samuel Fuller|
|Composition by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Director of Photography:||Wilfred M. Cline|
Description by OLDIES.com:
With shoot-'em-ups galore, a clean-cut hero, dust-beaten horse soldiers and fearless warriors, The Command - Warner Bros.' first CinemaScope? release - is a galloping entertainment success. Guy Madison portrays 7th cavalry doctor Capt. Robert MacClaw, unexpectedly handed the reins of his battered troop's command. Unfamiliar with by-the-book military tactics, MacClaw nevertheless knows how to take charge. He keeps the book closed and his mind open as he leads his men and a settlers' wagon train on a desperate journey besieged by waves of Indian attacks. Multiple Oscar? winner* Dimitri Tiomkin provides the lively score pacing the thunderous action. And plenty of hoofs provide the thunder: the movie's wrangler estimated the project required 41,882 horse-hours (number of horses times number of hours used). That ain't hay!
THE COMMAND was Warner Bros.' first Technicolor release. Guy Madison, then extremely popular with western fans by virtue of the TVer WILD BILL HICKOK, heads the cast as Army medical captain McClaw. When a cavalry commander is killed, McClaw, the next-highest-ranking officer, is forced to assume command, even though his combat experience is practically nil. Overcoming the resentment of the men under his command, McClaw is able to stem an Indian attack and rescue a wagon train--not through any sort of brilliant strategy, but by improvising as he goes along. Harvey Lembeck's comic-relief role as a grousing trooper was later parodied by Billy Crystal in MR. SATURDAY NIGHT (alas, this sequence was left on the cutting room floor when Crystal's film hit the screens). Also in the cast are aish MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION.
This Man Can't Die (1968) / Desperate Mission (1971) View Details
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,903
- UPC: 883316127100
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Warner Archive Collection Product Series:
- The 100 - Complete 2nd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- The 100 - Complete 3rd Season (Blu-ray) ~ $33.57 CYBER SALE
- 20,000 Years In Sing Sing (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
- The 25th Hour (DVD-R) ~ $12.37 CYBER SALE
- -30- (DVD-R) ~ $11.13 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Westerns genre:
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $1.79 CYBER SALE
- Hopalong Cassidy Classics, Volume 1: 15-Movie Collection (3-DVD) ~ $5.39 CYBER SALE
- The Randolph Scott Round-Up, Volume 2: 6 Classic Westerns (2-DVD) ~ $6.29 CYBER SALE
- Gun Fight (DVD) ~ $1.39 CYBER SALE
- Dodge City (DVD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE