- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
Oscar-winners Rosalind Russell ("Auntie Mame") and Robert Donat ("Goodbye, Mr. Chips") star in this Oscar-nominated drama about a struggling doctor who gives up his ideals for a posh high-society practice. In the process, he nearly loses his wife and his friends before tragedy opens his eyes. Co-starring Oscar-winner Rex Harrison ("My Fair Lady"). Nominated for four Oscars, including Best Picture, Director and Actor (Donat).
Robert Donat stars as a devoted doctor who labors over treating Welsh miners infected with tuberculosis but ends up treating rich London patients at the risk of losing his faith in himself. The death of a close friend shakes him out of his slump, and he returns to the cause of the poor.
Road To Ruin |
- Fearing repercussions from the medical profession, MGM insisted on attaching a disclaimer to the film.
- In a twist on typical Hollywood practice, King Vidor altered the more optimistic ending of A.J. Cronin's novel.