Charlie Spivak Okeh & Columbia Years (1941-1942)
|CYBER SALE:||$8.78 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.19 (41% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Compiled and produced by Dan Rivard
- Digital audio restoration by Ken Robertson
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Charlie Spivak was a section player with Ben Pollack, the Dorsey Brothers, Ray Noble, Bob Crosby and Jack Teagarden before he started his own band in 1939. This collection from his days with Okeh and Columbia features Spivak's biggest pop hits and other fine examples of his work on the label.
- 1.Stardreams (Theme Song)
- 2.Vocal by The StardustersWhen I See An Elephant Fly
- 3.Vocal by Garry StevensI Left My Heart At The Stage Door Canteen
- 4.Vocal by June HuttonDreamsville, Ohio
- 5.What's Cookin'
- 6.Vocal by Garry StevensI Understand
- 7.Vocal by Garry Stevens & The StardustersAt Last
- 8.Let's Go Home
- 9.Vocal by Garry StevensEverything Happens To Me
- 10.Vocal by The StardustersI Surrender, Dear
- 11.Vocal by Frank HowardPrairieland Lullaby
- 12.Vocal by Garry StevensWhen The Sun Comes Out
- 13.Vocal by The StardustersA Week-End In Havana
- 14.Intermezzo (A Love story)
- 15.Vocal by Garry StevensI'll Never Let A Day Pass By
- 16.Vocal by Garry Stevens & The StardustersThis Is No Laughing Matter
- 17.Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry
- 18.Vocal by Garry StevensIt's So Peaceful In The Country
- 19.Autumn Nocturne
- 20.Vocal by The StardustersBrother Bill
- 21.Vocal by Garry StevensDon't Take Your Love From Me
- 22.Vocal by Garry Stevens, June Hutton & The StardustersI Remember You
- 23.Combination Solid (Previously Unreleased)
- 24.Vocal by Garry StevensMy Devotion
Personnel includes: Garry Stevens, June Hutton,m Frank Howard, The Stardusters (vocals).
Includes liner notes by Dan Rivard.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Frank M. Howard, Gary Stevens, June Hutton, The Stardusters (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Recording information: 01/13/1941-07/06/1942.
Coming along halfway through the swing era, Charlie Spivak's big band managed to rank among the top ten orchestras of the early '40s. That Spivak never broke into the top five, occupied by the likes of Glenn Miller, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Harry James, and Benny Goodman, had to do with timing -- all of them had preceded him -- but also with his musical approach. Spivak got his shot at leading an orchestra because he was so respected as a hot trumpeter, but when he organized a band he usually stuck a mute in his horn and aimed for a smooth style not unlike the sound of Tommy Dorsey's trombone. Indeed, he seemed to pattern his band on that of the younger Dorsey, similarly attempting to straddle the hot and sweet strains of swing. When he did play his trumpet open, he reminded a lot of listeners of James (though some found his tone purer). As a result, his legacy has been compromised, and there have been few compilations of his original studio recordings. Collectables Records redresses this wrong with its 24-track, 77-minute collection of Spivak's earliest recordings, made for Columbia and its OKeh subsidiary between the start of 1941 and the onset of the first recording ban in August 1942. All of the band's chart hits from that period, with the exception of its cover of "White Christmas," have been included. Spivak's trumpet playing is the attraction on such instrumentals as "What's Cookin'" and vocal numbers like "Don't Take Your Love From Me." The Tommy Dorsey sound is very apparent on "I Understand" and the hit "Intermezzo (A Love Story)," while James is recalled on "At Last" and "Autumn Nocturne." Throughout, the band plays sturdy, familiar swing music that remains just a little too much like that of its betters. ~ William Ruhlmann
Les BrownThe Best of The Rare Les Brown (From The Okeh Vaults) (CD)
$5.99 CYBER SALE
Will BradleyThe Best of Will Bradley With Ray McKinley - Eight To The... (CD)
$8.78 CYBER SALE
Al DonahueThe Solid Swing of Al Donahue & His Orchestra (CD)
$5.99 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 52,054
- UPC: 090431667521
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER SALE
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER SALE
- 2nd II None Classic 220 (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Best of 2Pac Pt. 1: Thug (CD) ~ $9.45 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac The Best of Pt. 1: Thug [Clean] (CD) ~ $6.44 CYBER SALE
Jazz General Music Categories:
- 3 Cohens Braid (CD) ~ $15.28 CYBER SALE
- The 6 & 7 / 8s String Band Echoes of Tom Anderson's: The New Orleans String Jazz (2-CD) ~ $26.26 CYBER SALE
- Aardvark Jazz Orchestra Impressions (CD) ~ $15.39 CYBER SALE
- Aaron Diehl The Bespoke Man's Narrative (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE
- Aaron Diehl Space Time Continuum (CD) ~ $16.18 CYBER SALE