- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia CL-742 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Columbia CL-936 (1956)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Kai Winding was one of the finest trombonists to emerge from the bebop era. On "Trombone for Two," he is joined by a frequent collaborator, trombonist J.J. Johnson, and Dick Katz, Paul Chambers and Osie Johnson. Among the highlights are "Let's Get Away From It All" and "Whistle While You Work." "The Trombone Sound" features Winding and his septet, including four trombones in all.
- 1.The Whiffenpoof Song
- 2.Give Me The Simple Life
- 3.Close As Pages In A Book
- 5.Trombone For Two
- 6.It's Sand, Man
- 7.We Two
- 8.Let's Get Away From It All
- 10.This Can't Be Love
- 11.Whistle While You Work
- 12.My Little Girl
- 13.Blue Room
- 15.Breezin' Along With The Breeze
- 16.Jim And Andy's
- 17.Old School Ties
- 18.Captain Kut-Cha
- 19.Every Girl Is My Valentine
- 20.Under A Blanket Of Blues
- 22.Nice Work If You Can Get It
- 23.I Want To Be Happy
2 LPs on 1 CD: TROMBONE FOR 2 (w/ J.J. Johnson) (1955)/THE TROMBONE SOUND (1956).
Personnel includes: Kai Winding, J.J. Johnson (trombone); Dick Katz (piano); Paul Chambers (bass); Osie Johnson (drums, percussion).
Originally released on Columbia Records.
This two-fer from Collectables features a pair of out of print Kai Winding LPs: Trombone for Two, with J.J. Johnson, and The Trombone Sound, both originally issued on Columbia in 1955 and 1956, respectively. Highlights among the 23 tracks include "Let's Get Away from It All," "Nice Work if You Can Get It," and "I Want to Be Happy," which provide an entertaining combination of pop standards and bop. ~ Al Campbell