For Me and My Gal (Soundtrack) [Import]
Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs (series)
13 copies available
|You Save:||$7 (58% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 6, 2003
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Soundtrack Factory
- 1.For Me and My Gal Main Title
- 2.Vaudeville Routine
- 3.Doll Shop (I)
- 4.Doll Shop (II)
- 5.For Me and My Gal
- 7.When You Wore a Tulip
- 8.Don't Bite the Hand That's Feeding You
- 9.Do I Love You ?
- 10.It Started With Eve
- 11.Woman's Prerogative
- 12.After You've Gone
- 13.Spell of the Waltz
- 14.Love Song
- 15.Dream Crashes
- 16.I'm Sorry I Made You Cry
- 17.Tell Me
- 18.Tell Me
- 19.Till We Meet Again
- 20.We Don't Want the Bacon, What We Want Is a Piece of the Rhine
- 21.Ballin' the Jack
- 22.Small Time
- 23.What Are You Going to Do About the Boys ?
- 24.How 'Ya Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm ?
- 25.There's a Long, Long Tail
- 26.Where Do We Go From Here ?
- 27.Three Chers For the Yanks
- 28.When Johnny Comes Marching Home
- 29.End Title
Principal cast includes: Judy Garland (Jo Hayden); Gene Kelly (Harry Palmer).
Recorded in Hollywood, California in 1942.
The World War I era and the field of vaudeville provided the setting for the romantic triangle plot of MGM's 1942 movie musical For Me and My Gal, and all of it was an excuse to hear Judy Garland, George Murphy, up-and-coming star Gene Kelly, and others perform vintage songs from the early days of Tin Pan Alley like the title tune, "When You Wore a Tulip," and "After You've Gone," as well as some vintage war-themed numbers that were newly timely in the months after Pearl Harbor. The movie appeared several years before the vogue for soundtrack albums came in, and while Garland and Kelly made a studio recording of "For Me and My Gal" that became a Top Ten hit, it took until 1996 for Rhino Records to come up with an audio version of the score. Meanwhile, the film had gone out of copyright in Europe, which enables the European label The Soundtrack Factory to issue its own unlicensed version. It looks, however, as though someone just took a copy of the Rhino album and cut it down a little (about seven minutes, to be exact), since there are some outtakes here that first appeared on that disc. That would make the question of legality more problematic. In any case, this version is inferior in every way to the Rhino album, from its length to its skimpy, typo-filled annotations. Technically, it is not available in the U.S., though practically it was easy to purchase upon release, usually for a much lower price than the Rhino disc. ~ William Ruhlmann
Harry WarrenDames (and Selections from "Fashions of 1934," "In... (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Bernard Herrmann / Alex NorthJane Eyre / A Streetcar Named Desire (Soundtrack) [Import] (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Play Me a Movie: Piano Music to Accompany Silent (CD)
$16.89 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Rare & Hard-To-Find Audio CDs series:
- The Rippingtons Moonlighting (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists AM Gold: 1968 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra Hey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Manhattan School of Music Chamber Sinfonia & Opera Theater Holst - Savitri / Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending / Britten - Sinfonietta (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Miss World Miss World (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE