- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2013
"[S]ee how the trappings of horror discredited earlier have been truly revived, how the rubber masks have regained their fangs."
Directed by Tobe Hooper, this chilling horror film follows two teenage couples as they dare to stay all night in the funhouse of a creepy carnival. However, their mischief lands them in serious trouble when they witness a terrifying murder and become caught in a seemingly inescapable web of terror.
Two frisky teenage couples decide to spend a night inside the spooky funhouse of a traveling carnival, in this horror treat from cult director Tobe Hooper ("The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"). Once inside, they find that there is no way out of this deadly hall of mirrors -- with its white-trash zombies, sexual assaults and relentlessly gruesome murders.
Sci-Fi / Horror / Fantasy |
Theatrical Release |
- A Mace Neufeld production in association with Derek Power.
- Color by Technicolor; shot in Panavision on location in, and around, Miami.
- Producer Derek Power on "The Funhouse": "For me, it's the cinematic equivalent of Sartre's 'No Exit'."
- "Funhouse" was a negative pickup by Universal Pictures. After production was completed, they paid for the conforming of the negative, the release prints, and advertising costs.