Dorothy Lamour Thanks For The Memories - The Brunswick Recordings of Dorothy Lamour
|You Save:||$7.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Ann Sothern / Dorothy Lamour ~ Sothern / Lamour $7.95
- Compiled and produced by Dan Rivard
- Digital audio restoration by Ken Robertson
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This 16-song compilation features Dorothy Lamour's best recordings on the Brunswick label. On this collection of (mainly) movie songs, she's backed by Cy Feuer & His Orchestra (tracks 1-8), Herbie Kay & His Orchestra (tracks 9-12) and Jerry Joyce & His Orchestra (tracks 13-16).
- 1.Moonlight And Shadows (From "Jungle Princess")
- 2.Panamania (From "Swing High, Swing Low")
- 3.Swing High, Swing Low (From "Swing High, Swing Low")
- 4.I Hear A Call To Arms (From "Swing High, Swing Low")
- 5.True Confession (From "True Confession")
- 6.You Took The Words Right Out Of My Heart (From "Big Broadcast of 1938")
- 7.Thanks For The Memories (From "Big Broadcast of 1938")
- 8.The Moon Of Manakoora (From "The Hurricane")
- 9.Lovelight In The Starlight
- 10.Little Lady Make-Believe
- 11.Tonight Will Live (From "Tropic Holiday")
- 12.On A Tropic Night (From "Tropic Holiday")
- 13.I Go For That (From "St. Louis Blues")
- 14.Junior (From "St. Louis Blues")
- 15.Kinda Lonesome (From "St. Louis Blues")
- 16.Let's Dream In The Moonlight
Personnel: Dorothy Lamour (vocals); Cy Feuer & His Orchestra; Herbie Kay & His Orchestra; Jerry Joyce & His Orchestra.
Recorded between 1937 & 1938. Includes liner notes by Mark Marymount.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Recording information: 02/04/1937-12/15/1938.
Unlike such competitors as MGM and 20th Century Fox, Paramount Pictures did not forbid its contracted performers from maintaining separate contracts with record companies, and Dorothy Lamour, who joined the studio at the age of 21 in 1936, also signed to Brunswick Records, for which she made eight two-sided singles released between 1937 and 1939, all included here. Fourteen of the 16 tracks were studio recordings of songs also used in the films in which she appeared, although she had not necessarily sung them onscreen. In particular, she cut a version of "Thanks for the Memory" from The Big Broadcast of 1938, even though in the movie it was sung as a duet by Bob Hope (for whom it became his signature song) and Shirley Ross. The two songs not from Lamour's films were "True Confession," from the movie of the same name (though it was used only instrumentally in the picture), and the non-film song "Little Lady Make-Believe." Lamour had started her career as a band singer and was even married to bandleader Herbie Kay (who backed her on four tracks here), so she knew her way around the swing arrangements used. Many of the songs were popular at the time, though Lamour was always only one of several recording artists cutting disc versions of them. Nevertheless, several were particularly identified with her, especially "The Moon of Manakoora," which became her signature song. Other than "Thanks for the Memory," there are no real standards among the selections, although these are in general sturdy compositions, written by such craftsmen as Hoagy Carmichael, Burton Lane, Frank Loesser, Ralph Rainger, and Leo Robin. Lamour switched to Bluebird in 1939 and later recorded for Decca, but these are her first recordings, and it's good to have them back in print at a reasonable price. ~ William Ruhlmann
Jimmy RushingCat Meets Chick (A Story In Jazz) / Jazz Odyssey of James... (CD)
$9.73 on SALE
The ModernairesComplete Modernaires With Paula Kelly On Columbia... (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 18,869
- UPC: 090431666920
- Shipping Weight: 0.27/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Darn That Dream, Volume 89 (CD + Play-A-Long Book Set)
$15.39 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Nicky Addeo & The Night Owls Seaside Serenade (CD) ~ $3.99 on SALE