Doris Day On Moonlight Bay / By The Light of The Silvery Moon
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"America's Sweetheart" honed her vocal talents as vocalist with the Bob Crosby and Les Brown Bands before embarking on her wildly successful solo vocal and movie careers. The two Columbia albums collected together on this disc are the soundtrack recordings from two of her earliest movie hits. Backed by the Norman Luboff Choir, Doris shines on tunes such as "Love Ya" and "Your Eyes Have Told Me So".
- 1.Moonlight Bay
- 2.Till We Meet Again
- 3.Love Ya
- 4.Christmas Story
- 5.I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
- 6.Cuddle Up A Little Closer
- 7.Every Little Movement (Has A Meaning All It's Own)
- 8.Tell Me (Why Night's Are So Lonely)
- 9.By The Light Of The Silv'ry Moon
- 10.Your Eyes Have Told Me So
- 11.Just One Girl Karl
- 12.Ain't We Got Fun?
- 13.If You Were The Only Girl
- 14.Be My Little Baby Bumble Bee
- 15.I'll Forget You
- 16.King Chanticleer
2 LPs on 1 CD: ON MOONLIGHT BAY (1951)/BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON (1953).
Personnel: Doris Day (vocals); Paul Weston & His Orchestra; Norman Luboff Choir.
Originally released on Columbia (6186) and Columbia (6248).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Collectables violates chronological sequencing by pairing Doris Day's 1951 album On Moonlight Bay with her 1953 collection By the Light of the Silvery Moon on this two-fer CD reissue and thus skipping over I'll See You in My Dreams. But the reason is obvious. Both albums (and I'll See You in My Dreams, too, for that matter) contain Day's studio recordings of songs featured in her motion pictures of the same titles, and By the Light of the Silvery Moon was the sequel to On Moonlight Bay, both films following the romantic adventures of a couple played by Day and Gordon MacRae in the years before and after World War I. Unfortunately, MacRae does not appear; he was under contract to Capitol Records in the early '50s, while Day recorded exclusively for Columbia. But Jack Smith, the second male lead in On Moonlight Bay, steps in for him on a couple of tracks, performing duets with Day. (She handles all the songs from By the Light of the Silvery Moon by herself.) The songs are mostly period efforts, Tin Pan Alley novelties. (The exception is "Love Ya," which was written for On Moonlight Bay.) Day handles the material with her characteristic charm, but does better when the songs are better and better-known, which means that the first half of the album is generally stronger than the second half. Originally, both these albums were issued as eight-song, 10" LPs, so there are only 16 tracks here with a running time of 43 minutes, not particularly generous as Collectables' two-fers go. But the pairing is appropriate, and Day fans will welcome having these long-out-of-print recordings available on CD. ~ William Ruhlmann
Doris Day TCM Spotlight Collection (It's A Great Feeling /... (DVD)
$12.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Doris Day - TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection:... (DVD)
$9.81 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,216
- UPC: 090431666722
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE